NHL Reallignment?

jedimaster

Well, here is my thought, I like it... Pretty deep eh.. Here is a list I made with the standings from last year and the the rankings as they would be under the new system..

Conference A

Vancouver 117

San Jose 105

Phoenix 99

Anaheim 99

Los Angeles 98

Calgary 94

Colorado 68

Edmonton 62

Conference B

Detroit 104

Nashville 99

Chicago 97

Dallas 95

St. Louis 87

Minnesota 86

Columbus 81

Winnipeg 80

Conference C

Boston 103

Tampa Bay 103

Buffalo 96

Montreal 96

Toronto 85

Ottawa 74

Florida 72

Conference D

Washington 107

Philadelphia 106

Pittsburgh 106

NY Rangers 93

Carolina 91

New Jersey 81

NY Islanders 73

And here are the first round matchups...

First Round

Van Vrs Ana

San Vrs Phx

Det Vrs Dal(Gets In)

Nash Vrs Chic

Bost Vrs Buf

Tamp Vrs Mtl

Was Vrs NYR

Phil vrs Pits

and here is what the first round matchups were

Last Year First Round

Van Vrs Chic

San Vrs LA(misses)

Det vrs Phx

Ana Vrs Nash

Bost Vrs Mtl

Pits Vrs Tamp

Wash Vrs NYR

Phil Vrs Buf

Note that LA misses the playoffs and Dallas gets in.

Edited by jedimaster

Sounds like the PA is not to pleased about this. They haven't signed off on it.

I heard the same thing. The PA has the final say so it should be interesting...I also heard that if it does go thru, it leaves room for 2 more teams in the league..One in Toronto's conference...May be looking too far into it but im just sayin..... :whistling:

Well, here is my thought, I like it... Pretty deep eh.. Here is a list I made with the standings from last year and the the rankings as they would be under the new system..

Conference C

Boston 103

Tampa Bay 103

Buffalo 96

Montreal 96

Florida 72

Ottawa 74

Toronto 85

My apologies if this is a stupid question. I haven't had alot of time to read or digest what's out there on this new realignment proposal, but why would the Leafs be ranked lower than Florida and Ottawa within the same conference? I thought part of the objectives of the new alignment was to eliminate the possibility of teams with less points getting a playoff spot over teams with higher points?

Yah well that is Gary's baby, he loves the greater new york area. I am sure Tampa and florida would have loved to be in the that conference versus having to fly over them to get to their's

Yeah I figured of the 4 teams that voted against probably 2 were from florida.

My apologies if this is a stupid question. I haven't had alot of time to read or digest what's out there on this new realignment proposal, but why would the Leafs be ranked lower than Florida and Ottawa within the same conference? I thought part of the objectives of the new alignment was to eliminate the possibility of teams with less points getting a playoff spot over teams with higher points?

I just didn't really order them properly as I was only really conerned with the ones that made the playoffs. I'll fix it though for yah. :)

Another interesting thing in the current system last year the leafs missed the playoffs by 8 points. With the new system they would have missed by 11 points.

Edited by jedimaster

Yah well that is Gary's baby, he loves the greater new york area. I am sure Tampa and florida would have loved to be in the that conference versus having to fly over them to get to their's

That old Patrick division has always had the sweetheart travel sched.

I think the floridas will be happy having snowbird butts in the seats even if they outnumber thier own fans.