Curing Roe

cjgraham

No need to cure them. Do you have a vacuum pack machine? If not do this...

Store about 1 days fishing worth of roe in a ziplock bag. Suck out the excess air with a straw.. Store all those smaller separate bags in a bigger ziplock.. Use the straw trick with that big bag as well. What this does is only allow you to defrost as much roe as you need. Need to tie some bags? Remove one of the smaller ziplocks and defrost only that.. No point in defrosting then refreezing all your roe because you gotta tie up 20-30bags for a day of fishing.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

uncured will definitely often outfish cured lots of times but i use salt and brown sugar and i don't freeze them typically.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Store about 1 days fishing worth of roe in a ziplock bag. Suck out the excess air with a straw.. Store all those smaller separate bags in a bigger ziplock.. Use the straw trick with that big bag as well. What this does is only allow you to defrost as much roe as you need. Need to tie some bags? Remove one of the smaller ziplocks and defrost only that.. No point in defrosting then refreezing all your roe because you gotta tie up 20-30bags for a day of fishing.

Bill was nice enough to give me two bags this spring and I have to say,they have kept well. I am able to break off just what I need and put the rest back.

i use salt and brown sugar and i don't freeze them typically.

That is my fav cure DR. I have yet to do it this year.No need.

Thats a great idea. thanks for that

Dr. Sal how long does that last in the fridge?

So Bill, you put the roe as is, nothing added? I did what you described for the first time and have not tried them yet

Yup, I make sure there's no blood or crap on them, then dry them on a baking sheet until they are a bit tacky. Then seal and freeze them.

I add nothing at all. I know a lot of guys that do cure, I think it's all personal preference.

Hey Spin.

If you got skein,I use to use egg cartons to portion the bits.They seemed to last in the freezer for some reason.Not sure if it,s the material the egg cartons are made of,but it worked.

I'll keep that in mind I don't have that much to store. You just put em in there no saran wrap of anything?

For skein:

scrape, dry, sprinkle of borax, sometimes I add a pinch of orange jello powder for colour (and for whatever reason they seem to come out of the freezer better with the jello, sugar might have something to do with it)

Less is better of everything!

For loose:

I like to river cure them, and tie bags with nice marbles for clear water situations. Works well for me, others hate it.

i have also used pro-cure with a few drops of different color dye from luhr jensen,as well as a dash of borax,pickling salt too,and if i have had leftover minnows i will grind them up minus the heads and guts and make a brine like solution and when i am going fishing i will dip the roe bags in the brine juice its deadly ,has caught me tons :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Gotcha Brian

To add,I have never tied bags with skein eggs. I tie a slip knot on the hook .Pull it down the shank,pull out a loop,feed hahf the skein through,pull tight and weave the rest onto the hook letting some dangle.I can tell you this is killer.

To add,I have never tied bags with skein eggs. I tie a slip knot on the hook .Pull it down the shank,pull out a loop,feed hahf the skein through,pull tight and weave the rest onto the hook letting some dangle.I can tell you this is killer.

I've tried the egg loop but have never fished skein, does the egg fall off? The ones I have are starting to come apart so I think it's I'd have to scrape it. I dunno I'm too delicate with it, actually, i didn't want to loose eggs so i tied then in roe bags.. A buddy of mine gave me some salmon roe last fall and I just finished it this year and this one had some skein on, I tied them with skein on and it worked but I do however wanna try what you suggested, I can see why it is deadly, with all the color and smell to it, I would think it would be hard to resist.

Edited by spinnerdoc

I've tried the egg loop but have never fished skein, does the egg fall off? The ones I have are starting to come apart so I think it's I'd have to scrape it. I dunno I'm too delicate with it, actually, i didn't want to loose eggs so i tied then in roe bags.. A buddy of mine gave me some salmon roe last fall and I just finished it this year and this one had some skein on, I tied them with skein on and it worked but I do however wanna try what you suggested, I can see why it is deadly, with all the color and smell to it, I would think it would be hard to resist.

It has to be the early stuff (tight),if you can scrape it,thats best.

It has to be the early stuff (tight),if you can scrape it,thats best.

Yeah i think what i have is at the later stage. thanks brian for the tips and sorry for getting a little off topic folks.Didn't mean to hijack this one, with that said peace..out.

Edited by spinnerdoc

I treat water hardened eggs with a boric acid solution, about a tablespoon to a quart of water, let dry without rinsing and store in bags or glass with air removed. They will keep months this way with just refridgeration. Boric acid is a non toxic antiseptic, fungicide and preservative that is used to treat everything from an eye wash to yeast infections and preserve everything from milk to urine samples, guess it works cause the eggs are sterile and free from nasties that will cause them to go bad when treated this way .

Edited by dave524

I treat water hardened eggs with a boric acid solution, about a tablespoon to a quart of water, let dry without rinsing and store in bags or glass with air removed. They will keep months this way with just refridgeration. Boric acid is a non toxic antiseptic, fungicide and preservative that is used to treat everything from an eye wash to yeast infections and preserve everything from milk to urine samples, guess it works cause the eggs are sterile and free from nasties that will cause them to go bad when treated this way .

Wow, theres some old school.And if I may add a trick to getting the air out. I did the same as Dave,Gerber jars. I would put a piece of wax paper in it and light it on fire and close the lid. A trick that was shown to me by an ole timer.

For some of those that might have tried this,did you?

Back in the early 80,s I read an artical about soaking small pieces of sponge, in ,cod liver oil and aness and wax.Spelt wrong I know.I did this and it worked for me. I would clip away and make it look like a roe bag. Just asking.