calling all PINHEADS

Guest chase4chrome

Hmmmm what about Mykiss or Milner???

Anyone use the new Hardy???

Not new, but I have a Hardy 15ft that I got made 17 or so years ago. Love the rod, I like it for big water and pier fishing, she's little on the heavy side though.

My sage 13ft and stanton are my go to's. I put the new Okuma Raw II reel on an ole 13' team Diawa for the winter season.

I like the KISS, not the reel, but the principal. Keep it simple stupid. :)

Edited by Harrison

Guest chase4chrome

Not new, but I have a Hardy 15ft that I got made 17 or so years ago. Love the rod, I like it for big water and pier fishing, she's little on the heavy side though.

My sage 13ft and stanton are my go to's. I put the new Okuma Raw II reel on an ole 13' team Diawa for the winter season.

I like the KISS, not the reel, but the principal. Keep it simple stupid. :)

Great....

I like the WET-KISS myself (too much info I'm sure)

I was actually asking about the Hardy pin real....

13' 6-10 is what i was looking at in each. when i was quoted on each with shipping it was over 300 for the cts, and 160 for the batson. do you get wholesale?

I pay what'd you pay on both.

Less shipping on the CTS though as I usually pick 'em up but that's $20.00 round trip in fuel. ;)

Hmmmm what about Mykiss or Milner???

Anyone use the new Hardy???

The Mykiss and it's predecessor the Hanson are both excellent reels. I mentioned neither because they're not making them anymore and are only available used.

I'm going to take a teeny bit of credit. Leon Hanson is a friend and came to visit me from Michigan when he was designing the reel to pick my brain

Milner reels are very highly regarded especially on the left coast where they're made and strangely enough in some of the US States like Ohio.

They're great runners, very solid, but I don't like the aesthetics of the reel.

Havn't heard a single good thing about the new Hardy.

I'm heavily influenced by Solo as I have a 2 piece 13' XST and a 3 piece 13' XST, both of which used to be his. Both are great rods. The 2 piece to me feels slightly faster than the three piece and is more sensitive. The 3 piece is much thicker through the base and offers the inestimable pleasure of straightening and pulling hooks whenever you get bored of a fish - or when you accidentally put the boots to them a little too hard ;). It handles big fish on big water without breaking a sweat.

I also fish with a Demarco reel, which Adam Demarco built for me. Since I've owned the reel I've felt no desire to use anything else. Maybe because my previous 2 were 4.5" (Demarco = 5") - a Raven SST(1) and an old Stanton. I liked both reels but the ergonomics just don't compare to the Demarco.

p.-

Edited by Paulus

Guest chase4chrome

The Mykiss and it's predecessor the Hanson are both excellent reels. I mentioned neither because they're not making them anymore and are only available used.

I'm going to take a teeny bit of credit. Leon Hanson is a friend and came to visit me from Michigan when he was designing the reel to pick my brain

Milner reels are very highly regarded especially on the left coast where they're made and strangely enough in some of the US States like Ohio.

They're great runners, very solid, but I don't like the aesthetics of the reel.

Havn't heard a single good thing about the new Hardy.

LIKEWISE haven't seen many positive reviews vis. the Hardy (thanks for the confirmation).

Problem apparantly is they're extremely light and when used for steelhead (not their intended purpose) they will torque when placed under pressure.

The Hardy float rods on their UK site are match rods designed for lighter lines and smaller fish. The specimen float rods would do the trick for steelies as would the 'Avon' rods - a friend in the UK has a couple of the new Hardy coarse rods (one float one feeder) and loves them but he's using them as intended by the manufacturer.

When you say 'torque' do you mean lock up when it gets overloaded?

The Hardy float rods on their UK site are match rods designed for lighter lines and smaller fish. The specimen float rods would do the trick for steelies as would the 'Avon' rods - a friend in the UK has a couple of the new Hardy coarse rods (one float one feeder) and loves them but he's using them as intended by the manufacturer.

When you say 'torque' do you mean lock up when it gets overloaded?

The discussion isn't about Hardy float rods. It's about Hardy float reels.

My bad, sorry :blush: - still wondering what 'torque' means (wrt to reels), new to all this 'pin lingo.

Clamp down on the reel when the fish is running = torque. Some reels under this circumstance will flex.. This is what Mike is getting at.