Electric Start Problem - 2003 Kodiak 450......nf

ckrb2007

the key to preventing electrical problems (and stalling in deep water/heavy steam) on an atv is dielectric grease. it takes a while to go through almost every connection and contact point on the machine, but it's nice knowing corrosion and loose contacts won't cause problems. i like to use a small piece of masking tape on each wire to keep track of which connections have been greased.

take apart your push start and get it cleaned up. then trace those wires both ways and make sure each of those connections is cleaned, greased, and secured.

i often ride in water that's 5-10ft deep and have zero issues with electrical. gotta make sure you're electrical system is waterproof when riding like this as a stall at the wrong time results in a wet rider and hydro locked motor. :wallbash: saturday was the 5th time this year i had the pleasure of helping with a swamped atv. at least it was only a polaris and not my grizzly this time :whistling::D

You must have some sweet snorkels!! heehee.

Good idea about greasing the connections. Point well taken!

****Update*****

Was able to jump it with a screwdriver on the solenoid. Fired right up first touch. I also took apart the handlebar attachment with the choke/kill-switch/start button on it to see if it was corroded but it looked like new inside. After I got it back together and on the bar I pressed the start button and wouldn't you know, it fired up.?!?!?! I tried it 3-4 more times and it kept on starting. But......on the 5th time it didn't again. ARGH!!! so I kinda played with the kill-switch and wiggled the wires and bit and it fired up again. So, my conclusion would be a loose wire or faulty kill switch. I'll be digging into it a bit more this week.

Thanks for all the helps gents!

Colin

Edited by ckrb2007

You must have some sweet snorkels!! heehee.

Good idea about greasing the connections. Point well taken!

i just have decent 12-14" homemade snorks. one 3" for the air box coming out between the pod and seat and the exhaust/intake for the cvt are up front on one side.

for deep water just keep it in 2wd and you can work the throttle to keep the front end up for very long distances. i've even crossed the grand river down towards caledonia a couple times, but i think ill stick to ponds from now on...

Dielectric grease is a nonconductive grease. As such, it does not enhance the flow of electrical current. Do not use it on things like trailer hitch pigtails and such. If you are goint to use it, make sure your connections are clean and tightened, then apply a coating of dielectric greas to the outside of the connection. if you want to make sure that connections don't corode, apply a light coating of battery terminal grease to the surfaces of the connection then make the connection. You could then apply a light coat of dielectric grease to the outside of that but it really isn't necessary.

I am not trying to be smart by no means , but i am laughing when i think of the snorkle , ten feet of water , and how nice it would be to drive the atv around on the bottom of a river looking at the differant kinds of fish you might see on a trip like that ...... good.gif

I am not trying to be smart by no means , but i am laughing when i think of the snorkle , ten feet of water , and how nice it would be to drive the atv around on the bottom of a river looking at the differant kinds of fish you might see on a trip like that ...... good.gif

Ya well I'm wondering what sort of snorkle I'd need for a short guy like me if I was driving my ATV around under 10 fow, my head would still be at least 4' below the surface even if I stood on the seat LOL.

I did submarine my old ATV once, wasn't a good thing. It was one of those famous moments, we get to a big mud hole, everyone else stops, and I say "watch this, I'll show you how it's done!" When the guys finally stopped laughing they did throw me a rope and helped me tow it out. I'm a lot more careful with the new one LOL.

Edited by Big Cliff

It was one of those famous moments, we get to a big mud hole, everyone else stops, and I say "watch this, I'll show you how it's done!" When the guys finally stopped laughing they did throw me a rope and helped me tow it out.

well, i guess you shoulda bought a grizzly :whistling::thumbsup_anim:

i cant tell if you guys are yanking my chain or really dont know what a water wheelie is. keep in mind this guy isnt in deep water, but you'll get the idea. you really need to know your machine and know how to ride in order to succeed...

well, i guess you shoulda bought a grizzly :whistling::thumbsup_anim:

i cant tell if you guys are yanking my chain or really dont know what a water wheelie is. keep in mind this guy isnt in deep water, but you'll get the idea. you really need to know your machine and know how to ride in order to succeed...

Trust me, I wasn't yanking your chain LOL, I had never even heard of a water wheely but in 10 fow? I am guessing you'd need some serious snorkels. That was a neat video though, I am guessing I'll have to learn how to do that some day.

Keep in mind I don't drive my bike too hard, mostly just trail riding or to go hunting most of which is just through some fields and things like that. I could probably walk anywhere I drive my bike but the bike sure makes it easier for me.