Lake O. report

Master of Bait

Gang,

A buddy and I jumped in the boat in hopes of tying into some browns and/or rainbows on the big lake for a few hours Monday afternoon...

Fishing for trout was tough as we went 0/1. Totally my fault as I fumbled the landing on my buddy's beautiful 5 lb-looking brown. It was green, flipping around the surface near the boat and I stabbed at it with the net. Unfortunately the hook got caught up in the rubber net and the fish came off pretty quick. Too bad as it was a gorgeous fish.

We did, however, connect with a couple surprises. First was an out-of-season walleye. It's one of the larger ones I've caught so we snapped a quick pic but I rushed to release it right away. I had a scale with me but felt rushed to get it back in the water so I passed on weighing it. Have a look at the pic, any guesses? I figured somewhere near 5 lbs?

walleye

Before leaving, my buddy hooked into another sizeable fish. Unfortunately it was of the coarse variety - not the shiny trout he was after...

sheep

122480.jpg

Regardless, it was lots of fun. Hoping to get out on the open water a little more in the coming weeks....

Edited by Master of Bait

The fish looks to be about 18" long (I estimated the spread of your three fingers at 3 inches) and about a 11 inch girth...that would put it around 4 pounds. I used this weight calculator.... (http://www.liveleaderboard.com/fish-weight.asp)

At any rate...even though you didn't get what you were after, you caught a few nice fish there! Thanks for the report!!!

You were on a boat, in open water and you caught fish........great day!!! :clapping: Good luck with your next excursion! I have heard that sheephead have a little fight in them......how was that one?

bly

Hey folks,

Thanks for the kind words - lots of fun out there.

I removed the walleye pic as I should not have posted an OOS species on the board. Thanks to the member that let me know.

Awesome the number, size and variety of fish you can connect with on the big lake in and around the city, though.

Bly - the sheep was like a heavy, lazy fighter. We've caught a number of them to 9 lbs but I know they can double that weight. Lots of fun when you're not expecting them!

Look forward to posting and reading lots of open water lake reports in the near future! Tight lines to all.