A few shiny ones and a rosy cheeked lady

spinnerdoc

I'm fairly new to steelheading and this fall has been more than kind to me, rather the fish were. Got skunked quite a bit but the last few days was awesome. I've heard it so many times presentation varies on different factors and conditions, didn't really cliked to me as I was stuck in a pattern. I did experement on the shotting patterns and floats. It was a few days ago when I finally realized what people were saying, in this case for me was , the water clarity, I was fishing gin clear water, and my float and shots were a wee bit big and leader was a bit on the thick side as well, the guy fishing nearby was getting hits and watched him land one, needless to say i was skunked that day, next day i decided to scale things down---the float, shot line, the shots and leader...dunno if that's what did the trick but I got a more hits I've ever had all season thus far...and bonus I landed 2, went again yesterday and landed one. Wish I had more time to fish as I only had 5 hrs all together for the 2 days...but still nice to get out...

PS: The smaller ones were super spunky...going ballistic, airborne and cartwheelin like there's no tomorrow...amazing

Couple of pics from this year thus far

steelhead003email-1.jpg

bow002.jpg

Ethan010.jpg

Talk about Chrome, this little guy is blinding

rainbow.jpg

And the rosy cheeked lady. Couple of shots of the same fish. She was short and chunky

Ethan007.jpg

Ethan009.jpg

Ethan008.jpg

Edited by spinnerdoc

Beauty bows man!!

Oh, just so you know...the rivers I fish, I know well....that being said almost every single time I go my lead length, size, shot size,pattern and floats always change.Even after I catch a couple I will change just to see what I'm missing if anything....

Looks like you have a great grasp already!

Superior tribs are still calling your name!!

TDunn

Beauty bows man!!

Oh, just so you know...the rivers I fish, I know well....that being said almost every single time I go my lead length, size, shot size,pattern and floats always change.Even after I catch a couple I will change just to see what I'm missing if anything....

Looks like you have a great grasp already!

Superior tribs are still calling your name!!

TDunn

Thanks Tyler...one day man, I'll make my way up there. This definitely boosted some confidence to try different set ups and ways to get them bows :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by spinnerdoc

Nice fish! It feels great when you finally figure them out, doesn't it? Years can go by and you'll never get tired of seeing that float go down :)

p.-

It feels great to catch fish alright, I still have lots to figure out, It's always good to learn something new :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks guys. Actually I'd have to thank Spiel, Solopaddler and BillM and a few others posting tips and chiming in on different posts about subjects on steelheading. I can't remember which post was it but BillM's tip stuck in my mind about gin clear conditions :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by spinnerdoc

Beautiful fish !! Even the rods and reels you guys use to catch those gems, are works of art in themselves!

Thanks for sharingclapping.gif

Paul

Thanks...Like i've said i'm fairly new to steelheading, made the post wanting to share the experience and hopefully some usefull info to other anglers starting out.

PS: The Rod is Spiel's handiwork :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks...Like i've said i'm fairly new to steelheading, made the post wanting to share the experience and hopefully some usefull info to other anglers starting out.

PS: The Rod is Spiel's handiwork thumbsup_anim.gif

I kinda thought so.He does awesome work eh?clapping.gif