Suggestions for Fishing in Jamaica

rdambros

My family has just booked our winter trip to JAMAICA. Now, being a fishing family, we are definitely going to fish when we go there. We are going to be staying in Montego Bay at the Holiday Inn.

What rod, reel and tackle should I bring to shore fish from the resort?

If anyone has done a good fishing charter in Montego Bay, I would love to hear about that as well.

Thanks.

My family has just booked our winter trip to JAMAICA. Now, being a fishing family, we are definitely going to fish when we go there. We are going to be staying in Montego Bay at the Holiday Inn.

If anyone has done a good fishing charter in Montego Bay, I would love to hear about that as well.

Thanks.

Check out the Fishing Adventure show that comes on at differant times today on the Travel channel , the T&E channel is free right now til Jan 31 on Bell express View , just finished watching fishing in Costa Rico for Tuna .................

I just got back from Cuba and I might be able to offer you a few tip..

1. bring two rods, one medium and one medium heavy, the longer the better, I use the medium to catch small to medium sized fish and I use the small fish as a bait on the medium heavy rod for bigger fish

2. bring heavy sinkers, 1.5~2.5oz bell sinkers work great

3. dropper loop rig works the best

4. get some galvanized hooks in different size assortments

5. run fresh water thru your gear after use

6. if you prefer to use lures, white and silver works great, but nothing beats shrimp and live fish (shrimp for smaller fish, fish for bigger fish)

7. saltwater fish is not as smart as you think they are

8. I use braided line as a mainline for both my rods, I use a 12lb mono leader for the medium rod and a steel wire leader for the medium heavy

good luck

here's a fish I caught on charter

6331177168_22dffb7c90.jpg

and some dinger I caught on shore

6331171792_3df26cf28d.jpg

Thanks, that's helpful. I think I will raid the three tackle boxes for silver and white lures. Should I be after top water or diving baits? I will be mostly fishing from shore and a nearby sand bar. So, I will be fishing the surf.

For rods, I am bringing two telescopic rods. For reels, I have a couple of inexpensive Shimanos, that I will bring.

I think all I have to go buy is salt water hooks and trebles. I heard that the shrimp works.

Keep the ideas coming, I leave in one and a half months.

Thanks, that's helpful. I think I will raid the three tackle boxes for silver and white lures. Should I be after top water or diving baits? I will be mostly fishing from shore and a nearby sand bar. So, I will be fishing the surf.

For rods, I am bringing two telescopic rods. For reels, I have a couple of inexpensive Shimanos, that I will bring.

I think all I have to go buy is salt water hooks and trebles. I heard that the shrimp works.

I have stayed where you are going and at the resort there isn't any surf fishing to speak of. You can go out to the reef ,which is about 500 metres out and fish there. To do this you can hire a guided trip from the water sports section at the resort or you could use a small paddle boat or kayak to get you out there. Any of the non-motorized boats are free. I didn't fish when I was there,however the largest fish that I saw caught from shore was about 6 inches , so I would definitely look off shore.

you won't need so many lures...

btw, night fishing would produce better than day..

If it makes a difference, were are staying at the Holiday Inn at Montego Bay.

I am going to try night fishing the surf and at the reef. During the day, I will try to kayak out to deeper water and see if I can catch anything bigger than 6 inches.

Lastly, I am considering a charter. I have only begun my search and found Marlin Madness, out of the local boating club. Does anyone have any experience, either positive or negative, with any charters in Jamaica.

Lastly, fishing aside any other MUST DO ON THIS TRIP ideas. We are going to take the half day trip to Dunns Rivers Falls, but other than that I don't have any plans other than the charter, for half day.

Thanks.

If you’re planning on climbing the Dunn River Falls; I’d suggest having a pair of closed toed water shoes or a pair of old runners, that you don’t mind getting wet. The rocks would be pretty hard on bare feet and I’m not sure they’ll allow you to climb with bare feet?

It’s a fairly easy climb and a fun way to cool off on a hot day; can’t remember much else about the tour; but we had a blast, acting like kids during the climb. Carful of the “jungle juice” that’s offered on the bus or the road side stands. It’ll get you hammered pretty quick (probably why I can’t remember the whole tour?); but you’ll also be doing the Jamaican shuffle to the nearest facilities; been there done that, worse case of bubble belly :unsure: I’ve ever had.

Dan.

Check what fish migrate the area in the time of year your going. Ive been 3 times and each time i checked there were no big game fish in the area that time of year so i didnt spend the big bucks on a deep sea charter.

The falls are ok, the booze cruize back is a blast. The zip line tour is way more fun.

How do you check what is migrating in the area between December 27 and January 4? Anyone know if the fishing would be good?

I would like to keep the fish and bring it back to the hotel to have them cook it up for my family. Anyone done this before? What's the best fish to keep for a Jamaican Fish Fry? Thanks for all the information.

Been a number of times. I wouldn't really bother with a charter as its hit and miss. Night time is best for surf fishing. With a kayak you might get some decent inshore fishing during the day. Basically any larger bass baits...jerks, jigs, cranks, swim baits\soft plastics, top water BIG poppers and spinner baits work well. If you are in a kayak and can head out into deeper water (be careful go on calm days...don't venture to far....lots of ocean current there and can send you a mile away before you know it) you will often see schools of Bonito (use jerk baits and ripp em in a fast as you can...don't bother jerk and wait) straight silver\chrome spoons work well in the cleo line. From an artifical perspective you can get a ton of fish...lots of cuda and jacks and tons of other fish I've never seen before.

NIGHT TIME is BAIT TIME!

1/2 ounce egg sinkers tied carolina style on 12-15lb flouro leader on say 30 lb braid...use a medium heavy to heavy rod 7+ feet in length. Go to your resort chef and ask for some left over shrimp, raw fish...or if your in a pinch a hot dog.

Hooks....surprisingly number 6 or 8 steelhead hooks...you'll nail em...don't worry about galvanized or stainless steel and all that crap..just bring a hundred of em....TIP - they are more valuable to the natives than dollar bills. use em at the end of your trip for tips for the locals on the beach and the rest of your terminal tackle for that matter, and you'll be the coolest guy around....

Once you hook a couple small fish, use a small pocket knife and cut strips of fresh meat with the skin still on....cast out and in about 2 seconds you'll likely have a hook up, ranging from the common googel eye- smaller red fish with a huge yellow eye kinda looks like a snapper, to snapper, puffer fish, jacks and a ton of other exotics...BRING WORK GLOVES!!!!!! or some bath towels when handling any fish you aren't familiar with....I got stung by a few and wished that someone would just come over and cut my hand off.... it was brutal, but eventually got the feeling and the sting out of my hand within an hour.

Make sure you have the resort security around the beach area at night...I wouldn't step out or off of the resort areas at night time for any reason whatsoever in Jamaica...if the security guy comes around...make sure you gotta plastic bag (most likely you will as to carry the pile of red strip beers and steak sandwiches you'll consume while fish'n ;)and fill it with your fish and give it to him for the protection and security...he'll love you for it...The key to really successful fishing down there at night comes down to two things...organic bait and those number 6-8 steelhead hooks....trust me.

Enjoy

Edited by waterrunner

If it makes a difference, were are staying at the Holiday Inn at Montego Bay.

I am going to try night fishing the surf and at the reef. During the day, I will try to kayak out to deeper water and see if I can catch anything bigger than 6 inches.

Lastly, I am considering a charter. I have only begun my search and found Marlin Madness, out of the local boating club. Does anyone have any experience, either positive or negative, with any charters in Jamaica.

Lastly, fishing aside any other MUST DO ON THIS TRIP ideas. We are going to take the half day trip to Dunns Rivers Falls, but other than that I don't have any plans other than the charter, for half day.

Thanks.

My wife and I enjoyed the Black river falls trip better than the Dunn's fall trip because it showed us more of the Island when we stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree in Montego Bay. Their is no surf to try night fishing at because of the structure of the beach.

My wife and I enjoyed the Black river falls trip better than the Dunn's fall trip because it showed us more of the Island when we stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree in Montego Bay. Their is no surf to try night fishing at because of the structure of the beach.

I should have added that my experiences have been solely in the Ochio Rios areas. My best success was at the Sandals resort.

Thanks for the information.

@Staffman - thanks for the advice, but did you have any success at all in and around the area?

@Waterrunner - thanks as well. I'm off to BassPro to get some steelhead hooks. My plan is to take one plano box with an assortment of tackle.

Keep the ideas coming, on trips and ideas. I also need some ideas for NEW YEARS EVE, as we will be there at that time.

Cheers.

Thanks.

not sure if anyone metioned but bring some spider wire (used for tying roe bags) if your using shrimp wrap it around several times, can save your bait from all the little my mom hates me that nibble away down there

Thanks for the information.

@Staffman - thanks for the advice, but did you have any success at all in and around the area?

@Waterrunner - thanks as well. I'm off to BassPro to get some steelhead hooks. My plan is to take one plano box with an assortment of tackle.

Keep the ideas coming, on trips and ideas. I also need some ideas for NEW YEARS EVE, as we will be there at that time.

Cheers.

I only observed the fishing, I didn't participate. Some of the natives were after the small fish in the shallow water. I did go on a glass bottom boat trip at the resort out to the reef and saw numerous fish. I did see a fellow who came in from fishing the reef and he did catch fish. He hired the boat at the resort and they supply the tackle as do other charters so taking fishing tackle isn't necessary. The trip my wife and I took, besides the Dunn's Fall trip was the YS falls and Black River trip. I'm not trying to dash your hopes, but unless you get off shore you are going to be disappointed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, we are back and had a great time. Jamaica was really nice and makes you want to go back real soon. People really appreciate the tourists and are really nice.

The fish in Montego Bay were very plentifull, but very small. I tried a lot of the lures that I brought and caught on almost everything, but shrimp on a hook worked the best. I would bring a roe bag or something else to tie small pieces of shrimp to the hook. I did not have anything, so I was constantly re-baiting.

One morning I saw two three pound flounders come in the rock pier that I was fishing, but I didn't have any shrimp that mornging and despite jigging right in front of it, the flounders were not biting my bait. Also, saw some skip jacks, but could hook into one either. In the end, I caught red snapper a little bigger than my hand and some other small fish.

It was well worth bringing the rods and I would do it again. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. See you on the lakes.

Well, we are back and had a great time. Jamaica was really nice and makes you want to go back real soon. People really appreciate the tourists and are really nice.

The fish in Montego Bay were very plentifull, but very small. I tried a lot of the lures that I brought and caught on almost everything, but shrimp on a hook worked the best. I would bring a roe bag or something else to tie small pieces of shrimp to the hook. I did not have anything, so I was constantly re-baiting.

One morning I saw two three pound flounders come in the rock pier that I was fishing, but I didn't have any shrimp that mornging and despite jigging right in front of it, the flounders were not biting my bait. Also, saw some skip jacks, but could hook into one either. In the end, I caught red snapper a little bigger than my hand and some other small fish.

It was well worth bringing the rods and I would do it again. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. See you on the lakes.

How about a report with pics Romeo?