Lake Ontario Atlantic Salmon

Billy Bob

In case this thread goes downhill fast, i would like to thank everyone for the amazing amount of info. :thumbsup_anim:

Dan dude you say it best , I allso would like to say thanks , no need to get to name calling etc. etc. , the facts are the facts , and without them its all just he said she said , bring on the facts so we can make an educated choice , seams lots of guys are hot about this , so help us out with facts not bull , take all that Testosterone and put it to good use and maybe help out instead of just sitting back in your lawn chairs and shoot crap at the people that are trying !!!!! 35 years fishing in the great lakes and still I will never say I know it all , but what we have is no where near what we could have, if only we could put together a plan that takes all in to consideration, damn when will all sit down and get our st7T together , B

One thing for certain,

If it wasn't for clubs such as CRAA, many many many projects would not get done. I look forward to the day of being able to say "See I told you so, I knew the Bring back the Salmon project would work". Regardless, this is still a win win situation for ALL cold water fisheries. The scientific information collected, the stream rehabilitation, and the many partnerships created to fund this project, just to name a few.

I always said, you only get back what you you put into it. Not saying everyone who is against this but I bet a generous number of the nah sayers have never contributed as much as an hour towards the fisheries.

[quote I bet a generous number of the nah sayers have never contributed as much as an hour towards the fisheries.

interesting topic for a new thread....not just nay or yah sayers....but in general ...i wonder how many members do donate time to the fisheries

If the salmon do develop into a healthy self sustaining population would we only be seeing them in the rivers mentioned in this post? I personally fish the XXXX creek to escape the madness of other creeks. Would the XXXX be seeing any of this stream rehab and stocking?

If there is success with the programs then I would expect to see additional rivers stocked. Atlantics are stocked for the purpose of establishing self sustaining populations; thus they will likley only be stocked in rivers that can support self sustaining populations. If XXXX creek contains suitable habitat for establishing a self sustaining population of atlantics, then it is likley to be a future stocking site for atlantics.

Any stream could potentially benefit from rehabilitation projects. Streams that are designated for stocking are probably more likely to be selected for rehabilitation projects; but a lot it is going to depend on whether there is someone willing to lobby projects, so any waterway could end up with projects if the right people back them.

Do you really believe that mentioning your preferred stream on an open forum will help you avoid crowds?

I never said the stream has spectacular fishing, it doesnt its been a dumping ground for construction companies for the past 3 years. The only reason I mentioned the name was to see if any stream restoration was taking place. I figured with guys in the craa in this discussion maybe they would know. I do apologize though i know naming spots/bodies of water in this forum is a touchy subject.

I never said the stream has spectacular fishing, it doesnt its been a dumping ground for construction companies for the past 3 years. The only reason I mentioned the name was to see if any stream restoration was taking place. I figured with guys in the craa in this discussion maybe they would know. I do apologize though i know naming spots/bodies of water in this forum is a touchy subject.

We have done tree plants and dam removals on the river you mentioned; but the Credit River watershed keeps a lot of us very busy for the most part. There is so much going on that our own time is spread thin and we cannot address issues on other rivers. We are always looking for groups of guys to mentor who can use government grants to help rivers; Bronte especially, and other tributaries across the North Shore. Its hard to believe with the amount of pressure Bronte Creek gets, there aren't 3-4 guys in each area willing to help make their home river a great fishery.

A very good friend of mine who fished Bronte for 20+years; well before steelheading was as popular as it is today, would boast about 100 fish days, and good levels of water throughout the fall. Its a shame that the river has been going downhill for years. Golf courses having extremely high rights to taking water, development etc. It is a beautiful river and a piece of wilderness so close to Toronto that is not had by other north shore tributaries.

I have to thank Ron for his kind words. A lot of people see a thread like this that gives CRAA a bad name. Its quite the opposite, and Ron is a perfect example of the group of anglers that understand all of our work. He is probably right though, most anglers would much rather go fishing then spend a few hours giving back.

We have done tree plants and dam removals on the river you mentioned; but the Credit River watershed keeps a lot of us very busy for the most part. There is so much going on that our own time is spread thin and we cannot address issues on other rivers. We are always looking for groups of guys to mentor who can use government grants to help rivers; Bronte especially, and other tributaries across the North Shore. Its hard to believe with the amount of pressure Bronte Creek gets, there aren't 3-4 guys in each area willing to help make their home river a great fishery.

A very good friend of mine who fished Bronte for 20+years; well before steelheading was as popular as it is today, would boast about 100 fish days, and good levels of water throughout the fall. Its a shame that the river has been going downhill for years. Golf courses having extremely high rights to taking water, development etc. It is a beautiful river and a piece of wilderness so close to Toronto that is not had by other north shore tributaries.

I have to thank Ron for his kind words. A lot of people see a thread like this that gives CRAA a bad name. Its quite the opposite, and Ron is a perfect example of the group of anglers that understand all of our work. He is probably right though, most anglers would much rather go fishing then spend a few hours giving back.

Thanks thats really all I wanted to know, if there are any upcoming projects taking place on this river I would be more than willing to volunteer.

A lot of people see a thread like this that gives CRAA a bad name.

Not sure I see that anywhere, Justin. You, John and I may disagree on specifics related to the Atlantic salmon program, and that's fair ball, but I don't think anyone can question the years of hard work CRAA and its members have performed for everyone's benefit. CRAA is an organization with a very good name, and deservedly so.