fall feedbag?

bassmaster4

I have been targetting largemouth at my basshole and they have completely turned off. My hot baits this year have been salted tubes, topwater frogs, and some hardbaits like original floaters fishing them pretty much topwater with little jerks to get them down and let it float back up. As it began to get colder the fishing just got worse and worse for weeks until yesterday i had failed to catch any fish on the baits listed that i swore by at this spot until i tried senkos recommended to me buy a man working in a tackle shop that i frequently go to. Is the feedbag done or has it yet to begin? Yesterday i was trying out the senkos and they seemed to go for them a bit. Had a bunch of takes but only one hook up which turned out to be a 2 pound largie. A while back i had a chance to speak with someone that was fishing there who said he was a pro (forgot his name) :canadian: , he pulled up to me in his boat and we began to talk, as he was leaving he handed me out a bunch of tackle like red eye shads, a bunch of strike king cranks and a jig and pig. He said that i would do well on the jig and pig in fall (november more specifically). I have been having trouble catching as well as probably finding these bass and am looking for some tips as to how to locate fish this time of year and what baits they will be more willing to strike. I should mention this is a shallow body of water which has lots of weed cover and lillies by the shore a lot of the vegetation has since died and now it seems to be a whole differnt ball game for me, i have figured out the senko thing and am in love, does anyone have any reccomendations for jig and pigs and what kind of trailer i should use(or your preffered trailer jignpig combo that you have success on) also how do u fish them never really felt like i was using it correctly, i have since lost the one that was given to me. Lastly what are some of the hot baits for these fish, I am assuming that at this time they would go for a slow presentation rather than a faster one.

Thanks in Advance

I am heading back out tonight again with my buddy so hopefully ill have a report for you guys with some pictures.

Bassmaster

Edited by bassmaster4

The "feedbag" turns on and off throughout the day, they won't feed heavy all day. You'll have to experiment (like you already seem to be doing) thumbsup_anim.gif.

As for bait selection, depth etc, all the normal variables come into play. Weather, water clarity, water temps just to name a few.

I'm not sure where your fishing? But on my homewaters the bass are schooling up and heading deep (much earlier this year than previous years). Once they school and move to deeper hardbottom, slower and more subtle techniques work best for me. Even if they'll take cranks, I have to work them very slowly, with pauses on the retrieve.

If your looking at trailers, I do well working Berkley Chigger craws, VERY slowly along bottom. Get right in the rocks, and slowly crawl that bait back to the boat.

And if you notice the fish getting more active/aggressive, then alter your approach accordingly. This is the time to throw cranks and more aggressive baits.

Again, it's all about experimenting. I'm sure you'll find something that works each time your out.

It's the best time of the year for quality bass, best of luck to you and look forward to seeing some pics!

Edited by manitoubass2

Also, look for spots that have a drop off. Access to deep water is important this time of year. They may move shallow periodically, then move back to deeper waters. If there moving shallow, it's pretty safe to say they'll be more aggressive at that time. If you find them deeper, watch and see if there suspended or not, and fish accordingly to depth. If the fish are suspended, senkos and drop shotting would be my go to.

If I confused you, don't feel bad, lol. I confuse myself at times too!thumbsup_anim.gif

Edited by manitoubass2

I should mention this is a shallow body of water which has lots of weed cover and lillies by the shore a lot of the vegetation has since died and now it seems to be a whole differnt ball game for me

If you can, find any vegitation left that is green. These fish late in the fall will be looking for oxygen rich waters, which throughout the summer healthy water plants (green in colour) provide them, but as the vegitation dies, they search for the grassy areas that are still left that are healthy. If you can't find any healthy green grass, the fish will tend to go towards rock piles as they provide one of the better sources of heat during this time.

Good luck.

Some good guidance above.

Largies are a tough bite this time of year in these parts. Both the senko and jig/pig are slow moving baits. Great for this time of year.

Find some green weeds if you can. If not find some deep wood or rock.

But don't beat yourself up, Largie fishnig is tough in Nov but your using the right baits. Slow falling, slow action.

As for a jig trailer, any craw or jig chunk will work. I use plastic chunks.

Good luck

Phil

Edited by Harrison

I usually find the most success in situations like this with smaller baits, or baits that fall slower into the pockets/grass. Along with alot of the baits mentioned (senko/jignpig), I like a texas rigged craw (strike king rage craw or baby rage craw) with a 1/4 or 3/8 oz sinker. This allows the bait to fall slower into the strike zone but when it gets in there, they usually don't think twice about it.

Rocks/wood/grass mats provide warmer water at this time of year, and that is where fish seek baitfish and other bait because all these types of baits need oxygen rich waters which these areas provide.

There is a time (a water temperature really) where bass feed heavily and aggressively. On the lakes I fish, I find that happens down to about 60F. After that, I change my tactics completely. Big bass will still be feeding, but they will be very localised and not super-aggressive. Smaller baits and slower presentations seem to work best for me. I catch most of my big bass this time of year on black hair jigs, 4" senkos and other smaller plastics. More importantly, I am fishing sloooowly. There are still times that fast baits will trigger a bite, but not as consistently as when the water is warmer.

'

Great advice above about looking for green plants and rocks. I often use a 3/4 oz spoon to search for green plants in 20 FOW: let it settle on the bottom and twitch it back. The treble will snag vegetation so you can tell if you have found greenery.

Fish put on weight as the water temperature cools down mainly because of a slowing metabolism. The fall "feedbag" is actually somewhat of a myth. It is a great time of year to catch fat fish.

I personally have found that you can have the best fishing days of your life in the fall or your worst. Having said that, fall is my favourite time of year to fish. Fall is a giant cold front, full of a rapidly rising and dropping barometer.

Just keep at it and slow your baits down as the water gets colder.

well i got the good ole skunk last night so there is my report! :wallbash: but im not gonna let it get to me ill probably be back out there tonight or tomorrow trying again! Thanks again for everyones input and im sure that sooner or later the help i recieved here will help me get some fat largies!

well i got the good ole skunk last night so there is my report! :wallbash: but im not gonna let it get to me ill probably be back out there tonight or tomorrow trying again! Thanks again for everyones input and im sure that sooner or later the help i recieved here will help me get some fat largies!

That sucks. Maybe try the opposite of what we all recommended? lol, the beauty of fishing.

Never hurts to deadstick a minnow/jig to locate fish

Timing is very important at this time if year. Try going out during the warmest time of day. Look for hard bottom and green weeds. Like others have said senkos and jig and pigs will work. Opposite to what others have said, I prefer a jig trailer that has very little action. Something nice and subtle. Cast the jig out far and slowly retreive it back to the boat with the odd hop and pause. Good luck.