Ice Auger from Costco

Cosmos

I have the same question Rob. My little 2Hp x 9 inch lightning has THOUSANDS of holes under it's belt thanks to 6 guys all liking to use it when we're on Temagami for a week at a time. Still cuts like it was new and this will be it's 5th year.

I think part of the issue is ones like mine use the ripper blades on them and these strikemasters and the likes use the same blades the hand augers use... and they just don't hold up to the abuse of being powered.

MIND YOU.. this Tempest is showing it has a serrated tempered blade ! The strikemaster that I bought of Misfish's brother Rob had two normal blades on it just like a hand auger.

There are 2 styles of blades in wide use in power augers 1/ Cutting blades like the ones on hand augers and 2/ Ripper blades.

Strikemaster and Jiffy use both types depending on auger model.

Mine uses the ripper blades which stay sharp longer than the cutting type blades.

Until you hit a rock that is. :oops:

Only done that once. ;)

The cutting blades cut through the ice faster but need sharpening more often.

Ripper blades are much better when you are drilling dirty ice or redrilling old holes.

Out West (Alberta, BC, Yukon, Alaska) there is a lot of dirty ice (due to glacial sediment) and this dulls cutting type blades very quickly.

Ripper blades reopen old holes with ease while cutting type blades tend to bind when breaking through.

wayne, you are correct, correct and correct.

the user has either A. stood on the auger to "help it cut". B. let a friend use it who has no clue and might have hit something. or A + B = C. C. is just a tool

But I have a 2nd set of blades as backup just in case. I too notice the blades make a huge diff. either ripper or cut like a manual.