Thoughts on this PFD ??

lew

Hi Lew:

I've been wearing a Mustang inflatable PFD (model MD3153) since 2006. Similar to other comments, it's so comfortable to wear, you hardly know you have it on. That is the best thing about these inflatable PFDs and consequently, you wear your protection. I had to install my first re-arm kit this year ($65) (they are good for 5 years).

The award-winning MD3153 Inflatable PFD with HIT (Hydrostatic Inflator Technology) is Mustang Survival's top-of-the-line inflatable PFD. Designed for serious users with exclusive technology that enhances safety and minimizes maintenance, this is our most popular inflatable PFD. The Hydrostatic Inflator Technology offers reliable inflation in a low maintenance design that will only automatically inflate when submerged in 4 or more inches of water and not inadvertently due to rain, spray or humidity. Exclusive to Mustang Survival in North America and maintenance-free for 5 years or until inflated. LeBaron's catalogue quotes a price of $225.

LeBaron's price for Mustang model 3053 (different technology - auto bobbin activation) is $185

Regardless which model you end up with, I'm positive you'll be satisfied.

After speaking to the OPP officers out on GBay, they have had problems with their automatic pfd's going off in the boat lockers overnight. There is a tablet that dissolves that triggers the inflation mechanism. If left in a very damp place, the tablet starts to dissolve and over time will end up going off. That's why I got a manual model and it doesn't bother me in the least bit and I wear it when I fish alone or when I'm out cruising with the family.

The Hydrostatic Inflator Technology offers reliable inflation in a low maintenance design that will only automatically inflate when submerged in 4 or more inches of water and not inadvertently due to rain, spray or humidity. Exclusive to Mustang Survival in North America and maintenance-free for 5 years or until inflated. LeBaron's catalogue quotes a price of $225.

LeBaron's price for Mustang model 3053 (different technology - auto bobbin activation) is $185

Tomcat, that one sounds like maybe a better option, but when I tried to get into the LeBaron catalogue yesterday it won't let me. Something about Adobe Reader not working for PDF files.

Seems like a few folks are having problems with the other models inflating in the rain or whatever, even the OPP.

And KayakMike, good thoughts there, but I kinda like the idea of the self-inflating feature incase I bang my noggin on the way outta the boat and can't pull the ripcord myself.

Edited by lew

Hey Lew,

In my Lebaron catalog it is listed at $206.63.

Their online catalog lists it at $185.63. (perhaps it is on sale)

Lebaron Catalog

Usually, you can get an extra 10% off with membership and they also normally have a tax and membership discount before christmas.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark, seems like Lebarons has some good prices but even with your link it won't let me in. Still something with my Adobe Reader :dunno:

excellent good investment, I have a manual model...i wear mine river fishing on big water, only took one nasty spill in a high flow to smarten up, dried off and drove straight to the store, eye opening experience

I'm interested in an automatic model for boat fishing...it sounds like the hydrostatic model is worth the few extra bucks, glad i came across this...great thread with solid feedback

And Dan, I figured it was something like that. Didn't think you were quite as nasty as Paul portrayed you laugh.giflaugh.gif

I was actually flattered that someone cared enough to point out that i should buckle up.clapping.gif I do all the time now. Thanks Dan !!!

I also find that it is less likely to irritate my neck if its is adjusted snuggly arround the waist. I keep mine in my rod locker,when not in use.Take the extra 10 seconds to untwist the straps.That way its ready to go next time you need it.

And KayakMike, good thoughts there, but I kinda like the idea of the self-inflating feature incase I bang my noggin on the way outta the boat and can't pull the ripcord myself.

That's definitely a worthwhile consideration.

However, I recommend double checking with the manufacturer and perhaps even coast guard/OPP at boat show etc....as that is in fact the distinction between life vest and pfd....a pfd is not rated to keep your noggin out of the water in the event of such a mishap. If that is a major concern, I would take my time and do more research.

I haven't had the time to read the entire thread this morning but that Mustang vest will definitely keep your head out of the water. Lew, I defy you to try to get your face in the water while wearing the inflated vest. There's nothing quite like peace of mind however. Buy the vest, take it to an indoor pool and fall in. It will cost you about $25 to do so but the expense will have been worth it. Just sayin'.

that Mustang vest will definitely keep your head out of the water. Lew, I defy you to try to get your face in the water while wearing the inflated vest

I agree Roy, and there's an instruction video on the Mustang website that shows the vest being used but I can't get a link to work.

The vest inflates in the front plus a full collar that goes around the back of the neck also inflates. It shows the wearer floating on his back with his face held safely out of the water.

And for what it's worth, I've decided to take Tomcats advice and go with the Mustang 3153 with the Hydrostatic Inflator.

Sure hope I spelled everything correctly in that post :P

Lew, here is LeBarons add for the vest.

I believe this is the one you were talking about.

• Neoprene Comfort Collar™

• Durable 420–Denier nylon construction

• Safety inspection window: green indicates inflator is ready to use • 35 lb

buoyancy when inflated can self–right a person in seconds • SOLAS

reflective tape • Safety whistle • Backup oral inflation tube • D–Ring

HIT

Auto Hydrostatic

Activation

• Provides excellent safety, designed

for severe weather and requires

minimal maintenance • 1F auto

hydrostatic inflator with manual

backup • SecureZIP™

closure

withstands rigourous activity

and is easy to repack • Heavy–

duty coated nylon for increased

durability • Lightweight, comfortable and compact • Fits over 16 years, weighing

36.3 kg (80 lb) and over • Size: Universal Adult, chest 76–132 cm (30”–52”)

• Colours: Red/Black or Carbon/Black

CODE: MD3153

CCG

Approved

$ 225.45