spool question

kman

Hey there. So today I picked myself a new reel today. Its a quantum snapshot. It came with 2 reels one plastic/acrylic or something and a medal one. My question is what's the differents between the 2(besides the fact that one is medal and one is plastic)

and which one do u prefer

Hey there. So today I picked myself a new reel today. Its a quantum snapshot. It came with 2 reels one plastic/acrylic or something and a medal one. My question is what's the differents between the 2(besides the fact that one is medal and one is plastic)

and which one do u prefer

Is it a reel with a rear drag or front drag?

I usually prefer a metal spool due to less friction at the lip of the spool.

Reels with front drag usually have the better drag system on the metal spool.

I kinda thought that. I was think of putting a different line for larger fish on the spare.

That's a good idea. It's easier/cheaper than buy a seperate reel/rod.

I've found that with braid line I don't use my spare reel as much, I just tie a lighter or heavier fluoro leader depending what I'm fishing for. Makes for less gear getting carried, but also requires much more knot tying.

if you got it at CTC then that one comes with a spare graphite spool and it's to reduce weight and it costs a bit less (maybe).

I would rather have the heavy line on the metal spool and lighter line of the graphine one because it's about the weight and balance of the combo.

if it was me, I would rather fight a 'bigger' fish with the metal spool and heavy line then the light stuff.

if you got it at CTC then that one comes with a spare graphite spool and it's to reduce weight and it costs a bit less (maybe).

I would rather have the heavy line on the metal spool and lighter line of the graphine one because it's about the weight and balance of the combo.

if it was me, I would rather fight a 'bigger' fish with the metal spool and heavy line then the light stuff.

Guess it really doesn't matter if you can't catch fish!!!!! :sarcasm:

Guess it really doesn't matter if you can't catch fish!!!!! :sarcasm:

hey now! LOL! I have a free hour today so I'm going to get out for a bit in the same spot or close to it as you and I fished last. drop my son off at 1 and then I get to go... :Gonefishing:

Yep, it's a good idea to keep the other spool filled with something. My spare spool arrived from Shimano yesterday, and I'll be loading it up with my main line, probably I'll try 12-15lb SpiderWire Stealth Braid in moss green, as GBW suggested. On my other spool I have 4lb P-Line for when I go after trout. As a side note, that 4lb stuff sure casts far, even with nothing but a go-getter and piece of worm on the end. It took me a while to get used to the distance.

I would actually prefer to put the heavier line on the non-metal spool because over time you will find that the non-metal one will get more nicks in it and will be more abrasive. Looks like I'm in the minority here though.

my thoughts are that the metal one will get more use and the other spool will be in the tackle bag/box more often than in use. :unsure: