Several new braided lines...

Garry2Rs

I actually tested 20lb Sufix 832 and PowerPro to failure.

Sufix Failed at 19lbs, Power Pro at 22lbs, neither broke at the knot (palomar)

Wow....the test results that I saw on the internet a few years ago were a lot different. Ex.; 20 lb test Fireline broke at 47 lbs. I think the test results on abrasion resistance and strength are still available.

Tip wrapping is the reason that so many braided lines are stiffened with a covering of mono. I love very supple lines like Mason Tiger Braid or the original Tuff Line. Yes, they do sometimes wrap around the end of the rod but it's very rare for me to leave any slack line out the tip of my rod.

Yeah, I liked my TufLine Duracast well enough.. not sure if that's the same one you used, but it was the only one on the shelf when I bought it. I'd buy it again, but I want to try something else first, just because I want to try a bunch and see what works best for me.

For me, it's not the strength itself that makes braid the only type of line Ilike to use anymore, it's the sensitivity. The non-stretch aspect makes both the previous generations of braids, as well as the new stuff a long way better than mono. When it comes to fraying, most all of them will to one extent or another anyway. You just have to check it and re-tie more frequently. I can live with that.....

Edited by backbay

I think someone here just recently posted (forget which thread) that Fireline was grossly under-rated by Berkley, for whatever reason.

Test out some 6lb Fireline Crystal, lol.. I can't break it with my hands without bleeding first. I would guess close to 15-20lb breaking strength for the 6lb.

Test out some 6lb Fireline Crystal, lol.. I can't break it with my hands without bleeding first. I would guess close to 15-20lb breaking strength for the 6lb.

This stuff is slippery so I use a double palomar (pass twice through the granny knot).

The funny part with very thin Fireline is the fact that it's hard to cut with scissors or nail clippers but small pike can cut it as easily as a razor. But that also happens with 6 lb mono. I use 6 lb mono for walleye and every once in a while, a small pike will cut me off real easy. However, larger pike can't cut it as easily as the small pike.

I never thought to mention it on this thread but berkley has a new spinning line, a very thin low stretch no memory line like a braid but no weave in it. They say its a uni-filament line. Played with it but have not spooled/fished it yet. Its called nanofil

I never thought to mention it on this thread but berkley has a new spinning line, a very thin low stretch no memory line like a braid but no weave in it. They say its a uni-filament line. Played with it but have not spooled/fished it yet. Its called nanofil

nanofil isn't bad Dave and you MUST use a double loop when making a palomar knot to you lure. it's white as white can be too but it's ok. it casts well but I don't see it casting farther (12LB nanofil vs 20LB spiderwire) then my normal braid.

Is there ever any reason to not use a double palomar when tying a palomar knot?

don't know as on mono or floro it may cause too much friction and make the knot week. Wet it no matt what though before you snug it up