Install Trailer Brake

ra95

forget the disc brake idea. im only saying that cause i never embraced it. to me the industrial nature of the application doesn't fit disc brakes, but i could stand corrected here. ive never put disc brakes on a trailer. i talked people out of it but it could be because i didn't know enough about it to come across as an absolute know it all, a feature i felt very important when dealing with customers.

the PA axles aren't the same quality as alot of the dexters out there, but sometimes they actually sell dexters so the argument goes phht.

the electric braked axle @ 220 from PA is a very good price. the problem is the spring center is what it is, no custom sizes.

i know nothing of excalibur prices. just they are local to the TO set.

cerka will sell over the counter. the discount they give after buying a few hundred sets of axles was staggering. but there over the counter prices are very, very competitive. i have priced lights at 40$ each they are 9$/pair at cerka. they are not a retail outlet like princess, but they do over the counter sales. do yourself a favor have all your measurements and stuff ready when you call. they have a website now.

i think that 750 is a reasonable price for a guy to crawl around your trailer for 3-4 hrs, and sell you a few hundred in parts. it kinda hurts to think its about 30-40% the value of the trailer to add a couple of brake drums though.

if cost is a big issue go electric buy the brakes and drums and DIY it. its gonna run you a couple hundred smackers but if you want them....

yeah I was not clicking enough times to see thier prices there

7'*1.25' LH ELECTRIC BRAKE DEXTER Retail $65.61

7'*1.25' RH ELECTRIC BRAKE DEXTER Retail $65.61

'5 ON 4.50' BC 7' H-D CUPS ONLY DEXTER ELE BRK Retail 2x $45.90

'7/16 BOLT KIT FOR PAIR OF 10' DEXTER ELE & HYD BR Retail $2.75

wiring kit 25 bucks

1.980" ID Wheel Bearing Set $15

300 bucks that is better for sure

Princes Auto has an axle with brakes going on sale Tuesday the 18th if it will fit your application.

Details in the flyer are a little slim but it's 3,500 lb, 72" hub face, 58" spring centre & 5-bolt brake hubs.

$219.99 ($180 off) PN# 8277873

A phone call should get you more details.

Heck if his present axle has the 4 hole backing plate, he should buy the PA axle, strip the required parts off it and put them on his axle that's under his trailer at a really good price.

Heck if his present axle has the 4 hole backing plate, he should buy the PA axle, strip the required parts off it and put them on his axle that's under his trailer at a really good price.

but I don't think it has brakes just the hubs

unless I read it wrong

but I don't think it has brakes just the hubs

unless I read it wrong

On your present axle, look behind the hubs and see if there are square plates with 4 holes welded to the axle, that's what the electric brake parts get bolted to. If not, then you need the plates welded to the axle and the whole rest of the kit and kaboodle.