Thanksgiving in Quebec

Lip-ripper

I've been able to get out quite a bit this past week and figured I should share some of the highlights as I got to witness something pretty extraordinary... I'll get to that in a bit...

First off, I headed to a river east of the city for some late-night walleye action. The water was cold and the moon was full so it's usually a good spot where you can even see them in the shallows. We fished for a couple hours after dark, had numerous follow-ups and landed a couple small ones. It was pretty cool to watch pickeral follow your lure to shore and catching them was a bonus.

Here's a pic of a little guy chilling out in a foot of water.

lakers1002.jpg

He didn't seem interested in eating but his little brother did. We caught a half dozen little guys, but didn't keep any as we figured they should grow up first. Good times though.

lakers1004.jpg

Next I was off to the cottage to winterize it, but also to try my hand at some late season pike, walleye and bass. First location was the "sunken forest"... a few good hits and some small bass but nothing photo worthy. I did snap a few shots of the sunken forest though... Basically a huge flooded bay, 15 feet deep with dead-heads everywhere, gotta really watch the motor

lakers1019.jpg

lakers1020.jpg

After arriving back at the cottage I figured trying off the docks was in order as it was a beauty day and they often produce.

I caught this first 27" pike on a yellow fat-rap.

lakers1016.jpg

Next I grabbed the 13'6" surf caster and threw the biggest spoon in my tackle box as far as I could. This 30" pike hammered it! The surf-caster is leaning on the cottage in the background.

lakers1018.jpg

The following morning, while having a cup of coffee out on the point, we heard some splashing. I then witnessed something truely remarkable that I had never seen before. A dozen good sized lakers spawning in 6 inches of water. I took a bunch of pics and a video. The biggest one, we estimated at around 8 lbs. We watched them for an hour, very, very cool. Here are the pics and youtube link.

lakers1008.jpg

lakers1012.jpg

lakers1010.jpg

lakers1009.jpg

lakers1007.jpg

Great to see a healthy population of them in the lake.

All in all a great weekend and a sweet show as well! Cheers!

Nice photos & report. I am curious about the Lake Trout spawning in 6 inches of water ?

Wouldn't winter ice smother or crush the eggs in such shallow water since the eggs do

not hatch until the spring so it could be alot of future fish are lost.....

Good point, I'm not sure. They may have been just cruising shallow and spawning a little deeper because as seen in the video, they did circle around deeper then come back in for a bit. Water temps were 58 degrees on the surface if that means anything, maybe this wasn't a normal event?