Lowrance HDS question

bucktail

I was rooting thru the texas bass anglers websites and there forums "which are great btw" when I came apon a scream capture forum on the new HDS from Lowrance.

In one of the pics you could tell that the fish in the school were crappies, it was amazing, you could see there shape and everything. If I find the pic Ill post it.

here is a big catfish

bigfish.png

here is a paddlefish

spoon1.png

My question is for anyone out there is, can you tell the species apart on your screens at times.

I am especially thinking of sheephead as opposed to eyes, if you can, I will buy one right now cuz I m sick of getting grunts on Erie and Quinte.

Thanks

Darren

Edited by bucktail

I am running the hds 7 lss1 unit and it is a world of difference on what you see under the boat. That said the fish image could be a fish that is moving thru the beam. I know that I have been over a school of fish drifting thru the area and have gotten some amazing views underwater. I then spooked the fish and the images elongate kind of like smoke off a fire view. I am not knocking the unit it is still the best view you can get without a camera and clear water.

Art

I just bought the HDS 8 and a structure scan for it and I am impressed so far. My neighbor who is a semi-pro angler has three HDS units on his boat. He told me if you are drifting or trolling very slow and the fish is stationary you can often tell the species. At normal trolling speeds it would be tough to distinguish. By the way I may have a line on an HDS7, HDS8 and a structure scan. I am going to keep one head unit but the others will be for sale.

I have had the HDS 10 and HDS 8 since they came out, three months after I cast a while ago. I have tested them and taught alot of guys on this board how to use them. I can even tell you which weed is under the boat right now. I had a blast with it in the ocean this summer as well. Hard to tell in deep water though but you will get the hang of it. I will admit, Lowrance is much harder to use out of the box but with a little work you will far surpass that of any other imaging thats on the market right now. There are some great viseos out there as well to easily teach, Doc Sampson, Bennett Marine, etc.