Sears Customer Service (or lack there of)

Big Cliff

so two weeks ago our fridge starts acting up, I call Sears non customer service. After 30 minutes of being on hold listening to a message about how important my call is and to please remain on the line, I finally got through to a person who aranged a service call.

The technician called us back, told us he had to get the part and should be here (last Wed.). So this morning after no word from the technician and the fridge still not working properly, I called Sears again.

This time I was 45 minutes on hold before I finally got to talk to a non customer service person. I explained about the fridge, she said she would look into it and call me back later today. I also asked if her supervisors were aware that people were being kept on hold for 45 or more minutes to finally get to talk to someone, she assured me that they were and said it must be very frustrating.

NO kidding! So if you are thinking of buying anything from Sears just be aware that if you need service you are probably going to get a lesson in frustration along with your purchase.

My in-laws just bought a winter home down in Arizona and they are amazed at the customer service down there. They bought furniture and within 3 hours, it was delivered, set up and all the packing was taken away with a smile. Here in Canada, retailers have increasingly forgone customer service and they will pay the price when another retailer opens up with great service. It's not just about the price up front, it's also about the service afterwards. I'd call SEARS and ask to speak to a supervisor and I'd wait all day if need be.

The reason for that Cliff, is these big stores hire the minimum number of techs, to do the maximum calls. Even here in Montreal, sears, whirlpool and GE(Camco) are so back logged, they dont know what to do.

For excellent service and prices alot less expensive, check the yellow pages and hire an independant Tech to do the job.They are far more qualified, and easier to deal with.Unless the appliance is under warranty, then you have no choice in the matter.

The reason for that Cliff, is these big stores hire the minimum number of techs, to do the maximum calls. Even here in Montreal, sears, whirlpool and GE(Camco) are so back logged, they dont know what to do.

For excellent service and prices alot less expensive, check the yellow pages and hire an independant Tech to do the job.They are far more qualified, and easier to deal with.Unless the appliance is under warranty, then you have no choice in the matter.

Well, then they should change their message to "we don't really give a crap about your call but if you are willing to hang on long enough someone might eventually come on the line to see if you are still stupid enough to wait!" instead of telling me 50 times that my call is important to them and please stay on the line for the first available operator"!

We tried hiring a local tech (supposedly reputable) when our washing machine broke down a couple of months ago, he told us that the problem was in the computer module and it was going to cost us about $250.00 to fix it but he would have to order the part (it was an LG). So we told him to go ahead, (trying to deal with LG wasn't much better than dealing with Sears)! A month later when we called to find out what the status was, they couldn't even find the order for the part, someone had lost it.

So we called Sears Appliance repair. The tech came out, checked it over and found that one of the drumb supports was broken and that the brgs. and shaft were shot. Estimated cost to repair it, $500.00. the next day I went to CTC and bought a brand new Inglis front loader for $599.00. Got a $30.00 CTC gift card, defered payments and no intrest for a year (oh and they even threw in a $3.00 Tim's card to boot).

I built, from the ground up a very successful business, turned out to be the largest of it's kind in Canada. We never used an automated system other than outside normal business hours and only then to let people know what our business hours were.

If a phone in our office rang more than three times without someone answering it, someone got told about it! Even if it was only to tell the customer they couldn't answer the question but they would have someone call them right back (that return call became a priority).

When we told a customer we would call them back we also told them when we would call them back, even if we could only give them an update on the status of what we were working on for them, they got called back!

My staff were trained from day one to never say "No or we don't or can't do that". I had customers that needed parts or product delivered TODAY! We almost always made it happen, special couriers from overseas, trucks chartered from Montreal to Wellend, items delivered to places I sometimes had never heard of! We would tell the customer what it was going to cost to do what they needed and then the choice became theirs. If it could be done, we would make it happen!

Over the years, many of my customers came to know and trust me so much they wouldn't even ask for a price on things, they would send me a blank purchase order listing part numbers and quantities, they always knew I would give them the fair market price and if there was going to be any delay in delivery I (or one of my staff) would call and let them know.

By the time I sold the Company in 2003 (big mistake on my part)we had orders coming in from countries I hardly knew existed! We were shipping items manufactured in the US back to end users in the US, and manufacturers were calling us to ask if we would consider handling their product line for them.

What was so special about us? What made us the GoTo company in Canada (and other countries)? Customer Service, fair prices, and quality products! With all these big CEOs getting paid all these big bucks, why isn't someone smart enough to clue in on this? Why do we have to put up with the Bell Canadas, Sears, banks, and so many other companies that treat us like a pain in the ass? Like they are doing us a favour by letting us do business with them!

Ok, I guess I've vented enough and no, Sears or their rep (Parts Express) Still hasn't called back.

I hear ya Cliff. Same way here. Customer service is top priority in my mind. I have had customers tell me, price is not as important, as how fast i can get them the part. When i bought this bussiness 8 years ago it was doing 450K a year.last fiscal year we broke the number with 6 zerosclapping.gif All because i can find things and get things other companies cant.

if you ever need parts Cliff, pm me and we will make it happen.

I hear ya Cliff. Same way here. Customer service is top priority in my mind. I have had customers tell me, price is not as important, as how fast i can get them the part. When i bought this bussiness 8 years ago it was doing 450K a year.last fiscal year we broke the number with 6 zerosclapping.gif All because i can find things and get things other companies cant.

if you ever need parts Cliff, pm me and we will make it happen.

Now THAT is customer service! Take care of your customers because without them you don't have a pay cheque! Why is it that so many companies cry the blues about how bad business is and they treat their customers like they are a nusance. BTW, how hard is it to change the thermostat on a Kenmore side by side fridge freezer? I may try my hand at appliance repair next!

Edited by Big Cliff

I read a lot mixed reviews about Sears when I was researching places to purchase a new furnace. I was still apprehensive based on some of the negative reviews I read, but ended up going with them because the price was lower by at least $1000 compared to three other places I contacted and customer service at the front end was good. Hopefully I won't need service for 10+ years.

Still trying to decide if I should get a Craftsman snow blower or not.....

Poulin/Craftsman/ John Deer, so many of them are all made in the same place today, China. Nothing wrong with that but my suggestion is go buy one from a local dealer. They will fill it with oil, they will put gas in it, they will start it for you and show you how it works and if you have a problem they will help you with it.

Around here anyway, the big box stores give it to you in a box, you go home and set it up. You go home and put oil in it, and if you do have a problem they tell you to take it to the local dealer or you leave it with them and they take it to the local dealer. In either case you aren't going to get the same kind of service that you will if you buy it from a local dealer in the first place! Usually price is very close if not the same!

Now THAT is customer service! Take care of your customers because without them you don't have a pay cheque! Why is it that so many companies cry the blues about how bad business is and they treat their customers like they are a nusance. BTW, how hard is it to change the thermostat on a Kenmore side by side fridge freezer? I may try my hand at appliance repair next!

easy as pie.Pm me the model number Cliff, and i'll look it up and advise you. Every year i have customer appreciation day for my Technician customers at Christmas.I have a catrered in luncheon for them, and they all get a gifts to open under the tree. My employees are important too.Happy employees make customers, happy customersclapping.gif

Paul

Poulin/Craftsman/ John Deer, so many of them are all made in the same place today, China. Nothing wrong with that but my suggestion is go buy one from a local dealer. They will fill it with oil, they will put gas in it, they will start it for you and show you how it works and if you have a problem they will help you with it.

Around here anyway, the big box stores give it to you in a box, you go home and set it up. You go home and put oil in it, and if you do have a problem they tell you to take it to the local dealer or you leave it with them and they take it to the local dealer. In either case you aren't going to get the same kind of service that you will if you buy it from a local dealer in the first place! Usually price is very close if not the same!

X2good.gif

Speaking for myself, i find it soothing to express calmly, a stressful situation with people i call my friends. There is always good advice, and plenty of comfirmation from our friends.Sometimes just hearing that others have experienced the same thing, can make all the difference in the world.

Word of mouth is great advertising for a bussiness doing good things.It also serves as a warning to others, not to frequent bussiness who do a bad job.

Its just what friends dodunno.gif

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm........I still don't understand why ,if you have a bad experience somewhere /with someone/ etc etc

You find it necessary to go on the internet and Rant about it :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

I don't understand why more people don't go on the internet and rant about bad experiences

what a great tool to find out if others have had the same problems and to warn others not to use that company..thanks Cliff for the much appreciated info

oh and I like it when people get exceptional service and post on the internet .....

Edited by Terry

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm........I still don't understand why ,if you have a bad experience somewhere /with someone/ etc etc

You find it necessary to go on the internet and Rant about it :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

You in the market for an appliance or anything else for that matter? I publish good and bad experiences because most of the people on this board are friends. I want them to know when a supplier gives me good service but I also let them know when a supplier doesn't.

Now if you don't want to take advantage of my experiences, feel free to make your own choices. Need a fridge, stove, freezer? Call Sears, I hope your service is better than we got from them. Good luck but don't say you weren't warned!

BTW paul, I will get that information for you tomorrow morning, I am too sore and tired to move that sucker tonight LOL.

You in the market for an appliance or anything else for that matter? I publish good and bad experiences because most of the people on this board are friends. I want them to know when a supplier gives me good service but I also let them know when a supplier doesn't.

Now if you don't want to take advantage of my experiences, feel free to make your own choices. Need a fridge, stove, freezer? Call Sears, I hope your service is better than we got from them. Good luck but don't say you weren't warned!

BTW paul, I will get that information for you tomorrow morning, I am too sore and tired to move that sucker tonight LOL.

the model number is either inside or remove the kicplate under the door. never behind an appliance Cliff.