Compression on Outboard

FishOn

I would like to know what is a good compression numbers on a 2005 Mercury 90 hp 2 stroke. I am about to buy one and the numbers presented to me were as follow; 110, 110, 110 in all three cylinders. I spoke with the service advisor and was told these are good numbers for a 2 stroke engine. Usually 4 stroke engines will have higher numbers I was told?? Is this true?? What about the reading of this engine.

THANKS ALLrolleyes.gif

I would want to see the actual compression test been done instead of taking someone word, it only takes 10 minutes, if those numbers are right, they are the same or within 10% and that is what matters, other than that follow Garnets advice, if the head bolts have been touched the paint will be missing of the face of the bolt

Shouldn't really matter what the numbers are - some compression testers are more accurate than others. The main thing is that all the numbers are within 10% of each other. Sounds like you are good to go.

If there are wrenches on the head bolts, you may have a rebuild. You would need to ask how many hours on the motor since it was rebuilt. As long as there are at least 20 since the rebuild, you are probably fine as the rebuild was most likely done professionally.