Trigger X Plastics

manitoubass2

As an angler that uses alot of plastics, I was pretty excited about giving the Trigger X baits a hard run this soft water season. I have my own patterns and style of fishing, as do most anglers, so I already have a narrowed down selection of what plastics and patterns I like to fish. But when it came time to try these baits, I grabbed almost everything that was available in my area for bass/walleye to give it a fair run.

I liked some of the patterns/colors, others not so much, but if they catch fish, thats what matters most.

Out of all the products available, I figured the paddle tail minnows were gonna be the best of the bunch.

My initial impression was that the baits were very stiff. Even brand new Rockchuck jigs had a hard time rigging these baits properly. Once in the water though, the action on the baits was good. I also noticed in heat, they melt together quickly. It's not a good product to store in your tackle box for any length of time.

After a spring/summer/partial fall of using various baits, I'm surprised to say I did horrible using Trigger X baits. I did manage some decent smallies on the tubes, a sturgeon on the worms, and a few small perch on the grubs. But overall, I just flat out didn't catch many fish, and none of the ones I did catch were of any size.

I use some Berkley Gulp! Alive baits still, mainly the leeches, the 3 and 4" minnows in black shad patterns, and although they too have issues, I catch alot of good fish using them.

I'm just wondering who else is using these baits and what you think of them??? What has your experience been etc?

Thanks in advance for the riany day discussion thumbsup_anim.gif

Edited by manitoubass2

I've tries several different types of Trigger-X baits. They do catch fish, but there are two things that I dislike about them. They dry up quick if their not in the water(especially on hot days) and they have way too much packaging, lol.

I've tries several different types of Trigger-X baits. They do catch fish, but there are two things that I dislike about them. They dry up quick if their not in the water(especially on hot days) and they have way too much packaging, lol.

I agree completely I've had the same problems and the packaging is full of fish attractant.

I bought a few at a great sale price (2$ a pack) frogs, lizards and some jig trailer thing.

The lizards were too soft and wouldn't stay on the hook. I love the frog's action, bot only managed one pike off it and the decent pike tossed it in the fight.

I caught bass off the jig thing but the appendages dried up after one use and you only get four.

I have the same complaint with the packaging. I started this season with about 150 asst packs of Trigger X. I maybe used 25. The fat body grub was a really great size in 4". The natural paddle worms were pretty deadly as they stay rigged on many set ups. Caught many walleye per worm on these. Tried and hated most of the others. couple of the bass worms were ok, but not top quality plastic, again firm in most baits. Carrying 10-15 packs was a little ridiculous with the packing, and returning with a mound of wrappers and torn dried plastic wasn't much fun either. The chartruse is pretty bright some days...

I'm a fan of the triggerx leeches. I used them a lot in the Kawarthas drop-shotting for smallies. Seemed to "trigger" the bite when all else failed. I totally agree with the mass amount of packaging and I also found that the minnow styles were pretty stiff.

Edited by ckrb2007

I bought some minnows they are white with silver and black fleck and some crawfish that were in regular plastic bags like most plastics come in the crawfish I haven't really tried yet (chucked it around for 15 mins) but every time I have fished those minnows on a dropshot or a jighead I have caught smallies so far I'm a big fan of the minnows can't remember what there called but their 4-5" with a recess for texas rigging them.

I haven't tried the Trigger X, the price and amount of packaging turns me off.

On another note; I noticed the Linders "Linder's Fisihng Edge" has switched from Berkely to Trigger X the past season. I'm totally shocked by this because as long as I can remember the Linders have been preachin the superiority of Berkley products.

Does anyone know who makes Trigger X? I wonder if Rapala has created this company as a side project. That could explain why the Linder's switched.

I'm a Berkley guy moslty, but have had success with Yum, BPS, Zoom, Gambler and LeBaron. Stikeking not so much.

I beleive shape, profile and colour are the biggest factor. Flavour and Salt should help the fish hold on longer and increase your chance to set the hook.

We should take survey top 5 plastics and see who comes out on top.