Off To Pigeon Tomorrow

bigbuck

Tomorrow morning I'm off to HH to pull my boat out and head over to Bobcaygeon for our annual Muskie tourney/pig roast/lamb roast. I haven't had a chance to wash lures much this summer so I'm looking forward to a hardcore muskie weekend. Lures for the weekend include a couple bucktails, cowgirl or 2, hellhound and pulling a believer. Let's see if I can tie into 1 or 2. Last year while fun was a skunkfest along with boat damage so this year can only be better.

those hellhounds sure are perty aren't they and have a great side to side action. Bought a few of them custom painted ones at the Odyssey in April (Bare Bones)...now the bad news, all I've ever caught on one is a big ol pickerel who thought he was a musky. I set the hook on the thing and it felt like I was reeling in a deflated soccerball. You wouldn't believe how often I am disapointed by a 7 or 8 pound pickerel over the course of the summer. My buddy has seen me catch all kinds of em, he almost comes to expect it from me when we fish together. A big sledge is another great pickerel bait if you can believe it, and up near nogies, I caught a dandy on a 5 oz. nitro glider bait

Lew, I'm staying at my buddy's trailer at Pigeon Hollow. We will be around the top of the lake. You still have the same cell #?? Prolly not though. Anyways, I will keep an eye out for ya. I'm in my beige Larson fishn ski.

Edited by bigbuck

I'm waiting to get out with Lew so I can learn the art of the Suick.

Fraid your too late Bruce, I no longer uses Suicks. :lol:

I pretty well got away from them a couple years back in favour of the Sledge. A similar bait to a Suick but it puts alot more fish in the boat.

I've still got a box of them though for whenever I tire of Sledges :lol: :lol:

Fraid your too late Bruce, I no longer uses Suicks. :lol:

I pretty well got away from them a couple years back in favour of the Sledge. A similar bait to a Suick but it puts alot more fish in the boat.

I've still got a box of them though for whenever I tire of Sledges :lol: :lol:

Interesting. I've had times when I get so frustrated with Suicks that I go out after a trip and look for somthing to replace them all, but then there are days (had one last weekend) when they are still the only thing that will catch fish. (and I was fishing pike at the time!), so I've ordered a few more of them. BTW, I was on Nipissing, and while travelling from spot to spot a firetiger Suick flew out of the boat and it is floating somewhere between the South River and North Bay. If anyone sees it, hang on to it, it was a good one.

Andy

Edited by Andy

I just did my Kawartha trip there and one day on Balsam. Fishing was slow, but first fish was a nice 47incher which christened my new 44x40 Frabill folding powerstow nicely. The net made it very easy to handle the big fish without much stress or need to take them out of the water for anything other than a few quick photos. Cut the line, shake out the hooks, remove the bait, and no worries of being injured or hurting the fish. Two more fish, one was 31 and the other released without much attention as it was about 26inches, but it did the best jumps I've seen in a while. Bass/Eye guys found the season slowed things down good. One comment was spots they've been catch fish constantly at have shut down....they went 2 days without when I was there. Balsam was slow with a strong south west wind blowing strongly past Ant Is. to the long point, and we only raised two skis. Caught one bass. Raised a small ski just infront of the PP launch before pulling out.

If I were a guide, I'd be trying my hardest to get GRIM REAPER lures to support me!!!!! They are such sweet high quality lures which always do well for me!

The lady who's camp I was at thought I should've killed the big fish, as it doesn't reproduce and eats too much.....I thought that was funny!

I grew up on pigeon, actually got out last weekend from the parents place but got skunked, I went up by the south east end of boyd island. But I've heard good things coming from further south on the lake this year, just north of the 2 big sand beds. I've had some strange encounters with some by my parents house as well, east side of the lake by cadigans camp where that big rice bed is. its shallower and loggy and I've hooked into some there and seen even bigger ones (once had one following me while I was snorkeling)

good luck!

Oh yeah, the fishing, forgot about that. On Sunday, we had an East wind come in and it quieted things down quite a bit. I got a little dink that was about 20 inches. Yesterday, I was fishing in another tourney out of Green Acres Campground with a bunch of Americans and I had a nice 40 inch class fish hit at boatside, did a jump right out of the water and off he went and that was it for me. 1 for 2. We had a great time, lots of food, drink and merriment. Good to get together with friends.