Fall fishing - big difference?

Raycaster

A newbie question: had great success 3 weeks back at Scugog (huge thx to members here) and heading out on the 25th again. Is the fall weather gonna change the fishing much?

Also, Hitting buckhorn at thanksgiving but got skunked last year. Do the "feedbags" go away by then or was it just " one of those days"?

Sorry, 2 questions....

What type of fish are you targeting?

On Scugog we'll be looking for muskie but will be more than happy chasing bass or walleye all day.

Simple chartruess single blade spinners and some walmart fake "gummy" minnows were favorites of the day.

Buckhorn looked like a bass haven last year but as mentioned.... skunked in 2 boats.

We tried every lure, every color, every speed but it just wasn't our weekend at Buckhorn.

In fall, what i have learned is, for most species, slow down your presentation.Use bigger baits. and fish deeper weed edges, and even open water. Troll crankbaits slow, 1.5-2 mph for walleye.

SMB will be deeper, in transitions from shallow to deep water, and this time of the year may be suspended in deeper waters.Alot of times, you will catch SMB in with the walleyes.

As a general rule of thumb I speed up in the fall. Fish more horizontal. Bulk up lure size as well.

I know there are active fish in the fall eating somewhere, there has to be. I cover alot of water and do not focus on real fineese style fishing. Fish are more likely to be schooled up in the fall. Find one, there is a real good chance there are more in the area (bass/walleye).

Try burning spinnerbaits(fast retrieve) or an agressive topwater retrieve, both are simple baits to use.

I was on Buckhorn and Chemong yesterday. I found them still in summer pattern.

Good Luck

Edited by Harrison

I plan on going out tomorrow morning. I found that the bass are allready schooling in the lake I plan on fishing. It is a colder water system than most though. I'm hoping after a cold night, like we're suposed to have tonight, the smallmouth will be actively feeding near rock humps and shoals. They are definitly relating to warm rock.