My Engine is Running Great

Homer Is King

My 7.5hp Honda has fought me since the day I bought it (last year). This season it was the worst. It would fight to start. It would idle but if you gave it gas it would stall. The spark was strong and there was lots of gas flow so I had it narrowed down to a carb issue.

A mechnic buddy of mine had the carb apart at dock side and we tried to clean it but it didn't work. His suggestion was ultrasonic cleaning at a marina. While I was at McRae Point I dropped it off at a marina. They said they cleaned it but couldn't get it to work. They said I needed a brand new carp (rebuild kit wouldn't work) and a fuel pump. I had agreed to the work but the parts were not in when it was time to go so I picked up my motor before the work was done. The good news is they didn't charge me a cent, not even for the cleaning.

I priced out the parts at Honda and wasn't willing to pay that much ($300 for both). I figured there had to be a better way so I turned to the internet and OFC.

There it was, lots of info on cleaning a carb. I had never had a carb apart but after watching my buddy and reading the post here I figured I'd give it a try. I couldn't make things any worse!!

After reading this post I came up with a plan.

Carb cleaning cost

Here is how I cleaned my carb:

1) disassembled the carb (took the bottom off, took off the float, and all screws)

2) spray every orifice with Seafoam Spray (Canadian Tire) and let it sit for 30 minutes

3) run a guitar sting through every orifice

3) blow compressed air through every orifice

4) then reassemble and instal (set mixture adjusting screw to 1-1/4 turns)

After that it started on the second pull. After a a few tweaks of the idle screw and the mixture screw it ran great. I've used it for the last 3 days and it runs great. It's such a good feeling to have confidence in your motor. The Seaform was the best advice! I'm a believer! I also saved a wack of cash.

Thanks OFC!

Good job man.

Carbs can be a little "intimidating" at first. But once you get the hang of how to re-assemble, and adjust them, there not so bad.

I did the same thing as you earlier this year, minus the guitar string.