Spark Plug assistance

baironhorse

I have a 91 Merch 25hp 2stroke. Everything running fine but to up keep with maintenance want to give her a tune up and change plugs...I bought a set of NGK BP8h-N-10 as per attached guide (its from the mercury plug manual...alternatively you can use champions...I never pulled plugs from this engine till today and noticed these ones with out an electrode and the numbers don't match ...The plug I pulled out is a Champion QL6VC and not the one as per attached guide...What are your thoughts,,,why would they use this plug? Can I go to NGK? don't want to do anything to harm engine. ANyone see this before???

spark plug guide.jpg

Champ plug 1.JPG

http://www.offshoremarineparts.com/bp8hn10/prod_9735.html

http://www.offshoremarineparts.com/ql6vc/prod_9706.html

Seems the Champion is used for more powerful motors and the NGK is the correct one to be using. Did you buy this engine new or used. If used, it's previous owner my have Mickey Moused the plugs. I hope this helps. If in doubt and the champion works.. you can always just put a set of new champions back in.

I have a 91 Merch 25hp 2stroke. Everything running fine but to up keep with maintenance want to give her a tune up and change plugs...I bought a set of NGK BP8h-N-10 as per attached guide (its from the mercury plug manual...alternatively you can use champions...I never pulled plugs from this engine till today and noticed these ones with out an electrode and the numbers don't match ...The plug I pulled out is a Champion QL6VC and not the one as per attached guide...What are your thoughts,,,why would they use this plug? Can I go to NGK? don't want to do anything to harm engine. ANyone see this before???

My Merc use to use plugs like that,, a hot plug , get them at marina, cheaper at ctc but not available but hot plugs will be at marina, you dont want to hit the piston with the electrode.

Keep the same kind going. When I go to Canadian Tire to buy plugs for my toyota they give me the wrong ones. The Toyota takes double electrode plugs and the Canadian Tire ones don't have them.

The best bet I guess would be to go to a Merc dealer and bring the plugs.

That plug was after a nice seafoamin ... Just want to have a fresh set in for next season... I bought the ngk at marina went thru manual w tech and they gave me ngk bps confirmed same plug.... Current plug not giving me problem just seems odd why this one is in there... Are these plugs desinged to run hot w less foul up? Should I stick to same ones?

Keep the same kind going. When I go to Canadian Tire to buy plugs for my toyota they give me the wrong ones. The Toyota takes double electrode plugs and the Canadian Tire ones don't have them.

The best bet I guess would be to go to a Merc dealer and bring the plugs.

Oh yes engine was bought used so I jhave no paper work for it and this is first time I took out plugs

The make, model and serial # is all thats needed. There is a forum online that can help you out on the engine etc.Pm me for the info, they have been a great help as well as OFC.

Is it the same plugs as mine? Also measure the plug head to make sure electrode is same length not to damage piston....my plug is at camp so I can't measure till next week when I go back up but hopefully I can solve this mistery before then!!

I just ran into the same prob. Marine tells me to use one plug, open up the engine and there is a diff plug number in it. I used the ones that the marina calls for. I have not run it yet I will let you know how it runs tonight!

My "parts man" sleeves got rolled up for this one..and the books came out.

Champion ... # QL6VC or the rare 886-1**...new # is superceeded to a 886M

NGK/ A/C ... don't make one, performance brands like Zexy or E3 either

Amongst my numerous paper catalogs cannot find a listing for a 1991 Mercury/Mariner 25Hp 2 Stroke in my NGK & A/C ,Bosch /listings...

they seem to be exclusive to Mr. Alexandre Champion.

but the cross references tell me that there are many-o secondaries with a conventional design...

like A/C R43FS or NGK BP6HS-10 (4838)..Bosch W6Bc ..might work.

Ensure proper clearance before even cranking the engine over.

But ... if they work well now, why change them?..

Good Luck Man!!!

Randy

:canadian:

Ok so I call merc dealer (thx vin) and they tell me plugs on above chart are suggested alternatives..now the stock plug for that engine is an NGK BUZHW... I am still on fence with this as all my research does not show this plug...here is a pic I found on net but I cannot confirm accracy as the ngk site makes no reference to this plug.. To weird ehh!

Ok so I call merc dealer (thx vin) and they tell me plugs on above chart are suggested alternatives..now the stock plug for that engine is an NGK BUZHW... I am still on fence with this as all my research does not show this plug...here is a pic I found on net but I cannot confirm accracy as the ngk site makes no reference to this plug.. To weird ehh!

Try calling barton auto supply in hamilton with the merc #. You may be surprised. I was on many occassions for merc parts(cross referenced etc)Merc # to bosch and so on. They even found the listing and a supplier for my cannon downrigger motor.thumbsup_anim.gif

Hey vin fyi pat no longer working in parts dept. Thx for the info

Patdunno.gif There are two Dans that work the counter. One is yourger the other is older. I like the younger one, hes more energetic to please the customers at the counter or over the phone. All I do is say its Vince over thew phone and wham, they are on top of itthumbsup_anim.gif