Tornado hits Goderich around 4 Oclock

Twocoda

Hope nobody is seriously hurt or worse....looks like there is going to be quite the task to clean it up

http://www.945thebull.ca/news.php?cat_id=7

for the facebookers

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150738660535220.717198.894675219&type=1#!/pages/The-Bullpen-on-945-The-Bull/262801602854?closeTheater=1

Edited by Twocoda

I love that town. I spent the better half of 2008 in the salt mine running a crane for the shutdown. My wife and I became quite smitten with that town. A beautiful part of Ontario. The town square shown in the photos is very charming. This is terribly disappointing to me.

I was fishing in the harbour with my father about an hour before it hit.... Spent the time during the "tornado" at a families trailer about 5K north of town. We got lots of hail but didn't think it was anything major... Until we headed home. I couldn't believe the distruction on the drive to get through Goderich on the back streets. It looked like the old Volvo plant was shredded pretty good.

To the people who do not know, the elevator that takes the boys down the mine is about 6 by 8. You cram in pretty good. I had to wait more than a few times to get out for a number of reasons ( mainly cable inspection ). The mine's depth is about the same height as the CN Tower. When you ride in the elevator the water drips on you, it is basically a cage with a plywood floor.

Edit spelling

Edited by Grimace

The towers above the mine run the cables for the elevator. I remember going into the mine and the big inch and three quarter cables running the elevators were above us as we entered the side door. If those towers toppled I can see the elevators being down. The other way out us the bucket elevators for the salt and they too are run on cable the goes up the other towers. I sure hope every one down there is ok.

Edited by Grimace

Yup. It is always 19 degrees down there. The huge fans circulate the air. When you are in the salt mine there is always a breath of air from the fans. I loved bombing around on the Gators. The choice transportation for the mine supervisors.