Musky fishing

When we're up at Lakair, we troll with a Super Shad Rap. A fair size bait that doesn't dive clear to the bottom. We're only taking 8 - 10 FOW where we are. It works it way through the weed pretty good and, when we do get hung up, a quick jerk on the rod usually frees us up.

dont worry about spooking the musky with your motor we catch alot of them every year with just the leader in the water they will smash the bait right at the prop or beside it or under the boat or just at the back to the wash they are a freak fish and will do what most other fish will not. Keep at it and you will figure them out.

I like to use Woodies 6 1/4 is a great all year bait, Jakes 8",10" black perch or walleye, try torlling your sledge if you have one they are great on the troll. and yes your bucktails will be amazing at times trolling you just need to put in the time and get out with otehrs that know what they are doing. Join a local Muskies Canada chapter we all have mentoring programs where new people can get out and fish with other members and learn things that work and mostly how to properly handle a musky once you get it on the line.

Cheers Good luck out there.

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

Yeah, I'm not really complaining about the price (especially since it's his boat, his equipment, he takes you out for lunch), it's just I've spent a lot of money on just fishing related stuff this year, I'm not sure if I should be spending more. I'm trying to save money too afterall. I'm setting money aside for it though and it's not like it will break the bank. It's just a slippery slope lol.

For those of you who troll, what lures do you find most effective? I usually troll from 1 spot to the next with bucktails since they don't get hung up on the weeds as much. I've never had a hit while trolling, it's not really my favourite kind of fishing. Would my 9.9 be quiet enough for musky trolling? I've heard they can be spooked easily, but I've also heard you can catch them right in the prop wash, so I'm not sure what to believe. One thing I like to do (when the wind cooperates) is just drift down large weedbeds. It allows me to cover water while at the same time fishing the spots thoroughly, but still no luck.

I'm definetely going to try Stoco this fall, I've heard good things about that lake. I might make that the lake I go to if I book a charter.

Thanks again guys for all the advice. It's really, really helpful and encouraging.

If you go to Stocco PM me and I'll give you a pattern that was very successful for us when we went there.

I have talked to him a few times, he helped me out with lure selection, gave me some advice. I'm thinking of booking a musky charter with him if I haven't caught one by october but it's $300 per day, that's quite a bit if I still don't catch a single musky.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it. I'm going to keep at it for sure, I guess I'm just not very patient. It's hard enough finding people to fish with me for 10+ hours in a day like I want to, but I don't know anybody who fishes musky, except the guys at protackle but I don't really "know" them, either.

It's not always about catching a muskie. Talk to some long in the tooth muskie hunters and they say they get the enjoyment out of using new lures and the hunt itself.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the helpful advice and tips. I know most fishermen like to keep their secrets to themselves but everyone here has been very generous with their knowledge. You're a great bunch of guys. Thanks again. I'll try my best to put all the advice to good use and I'll let you know when it pays off for me.

why dont you try the st.lawrence river?

bellville isnt very far from the larry and there are musky everywhere in the larry... and if you pick a sectoin with a lot of islands... your protected from big waves and will have an abundance of spots to fish...

even a smaller boat like yours can fish the larry... i did it with my old 14 foot tinner and 9.9 combo... you just have to find a boat launch that is located near prime locations... so if weather gets nasty... your not that far from the launch...

I have always wanted to fish the Larry you might just catch a new world record !!!

I really second what Mike P said . Become a member of muskies canada, i know they have a belleville chapter. They usually have a meeting once a month at a local establishment where muskie hunters get together share info, trade tackle and have a good laugh or two . i believe the membership is a little pricey 25 bucks lasttime i checked. You will get a quarterly magazine and info on conservation and even tournaments. Dont give up on the ski's they can be tough. a fish of ten thousand casts. once you get that first one you will be hooked for life. My final tip is to keep a log book that would contain info on date, time , water temp, lure, depth, weather /wind , bar pressure, location, length/girth etc. so next year you can see where you may have been finding them the previous years . after 5 years that book will become priceless. let me know if can help in any other ways .

Well, skunked again. I was on Stoco before 5:30, tried working some weedlines around an island, tried a little deeper water around rocks, the mouth of the Moira river, etc.. I didn't get a hit or see a fish. Then the fog hit, it got so thick I couldn't see 20 feet in front of my boat, so I came back in at 8am (could only have stayed until 9 anyway). Hard to fish a brand new lake when you can't see a thing at all lol.

My advice quit while you still can before it becomes an obsession, 1000's of dollars in lures 1000's in gear last thing I think of when I go to sleep and first thing I think of when I wake up. But if you stay with it work hard and do the right research it's all worth it.

croped pic.jpg

ty 52.JPG

the MCI membership is $50 per year your get access to the MCI members only web site 6 issues of the MCI release journal the proceeds go back into the fishing world through research and other programs have a look at the MCI site to see some of the other programs that we have going. There are alot of members that will share some very specific info if your heading into there area just ask on the site.

I love OFC this is where I first learned to refine my musky fishing skills I was also directed to MCI from members here of the OFC family there are alot of us here.There is not a chapter in Belleville but there is one in Gananoque just down the road.

Good luck out there and keep at it.

• 3 years later...

hey even though this is an old thread i just read all the comments and couldnt agree more with all of you!

i fish elephant roughly 200 hrs a year. :canadian: Check out my profile gallery from fishing summer 2014 on elephant lake. I do believe the pike are still causing a problem on the lake but the fish are there, you just gotta get after them!

and just to motivate you all there is walleye and muskie! If anyone targets muskie on elephant please pm me.

mike p is coprrect. pigeontroller hit nail on the head rewarding incredible waterbeast. and they can be fickle. but when you catch them and release them its a great reward.. I have been at it for a few years and I still get excited,especially when guys get a tanker and let it go.

I really second what Mike P said . Become a member of muskies canada, i know they have a belleville chapter. They usually have a meeting once a month at a local establishment where muskie hunters get together share info, trade tackle and have a good laugh or two . i believe the membership is a little pricey 25 bucks lasttime i checked. You will get a quarterly magazine and info on conservation and even tournaments. Dont give up on the ski's they can be tough. a fish of ten thousand casts. once you get that first one you will be hooked for life. My final tip is to keep a log book that would contain info on date, time , water temp, lure, depth, weather /wind , bar pressure, location, length/girth etc. so next year you can see where you may have been finding them the previous years . after 5 years that book will become priceless. let me know if can help in any other ways .

There is no MCI chapter in Belleville, the closest is either Gananoque, or Kawartha Lakes which is about the same distance either way, both chapters have alot of knowlege regarding muskies which can be applied to the waters you fish, and Stacy is very knowlegeable and will do his best to put you on fish, it is all about shortening the learning curve, ie books like Musky Hunter, musky forums etc can also do the same. Fishing for Muskies is the closest thing you can do to Hunting without holding a gun, as you are essentially hunting for a top of the line predator, whose density is much less then the other species in the water body you are fishing. Everyone gave some great info, ie fishing logs you will succeed and when you do they will come much easier and more frequently.

get sonar... and troll...troll...troll...

trolling is one of the best ways to locate fish as well as spots to cast...

your boat should be able to troll all day for 10-20 bucks in gas...

and youll cover loads of water...

think about it...

trolling 5mph for 10 yours means your lures covered 50 miles of weedlines... rockpiles...wood... flats... deep basins...etc...

it would take you a week to cast this much of an area...

you dont need expensive sonar... crappy tire 100 dollar units will do... and it would be way more valuable than most of the lures you have spent money on...

Agree with Mike on this one.. Especially if you are just starting out.. Trolling allows you to cover LOTS of water and locate spots for casting later on.. Another thing it accomplishes that few talk about is that it catches the aggressive fish (the ones you want)!.. When I lived on Chemong, in peak summer, we would troll 7 MPH! you heard correct, almost on plain! Think of all the water you cover then. We caught tonnes of fish doing this. As water temps cool however, you need to slow things down. In November (in contrast) you want to do about 2.5 MPH.. Barely crawling but you'd be amazed how it works.

Seeing this thread again brings back some memories. Thanks for all the tips guys! I've since caught 45 musky and trolled up 5 musky for other people. Nothing amazing but a hell of a lot better than how I was doing before. I haven't been out much this year but hopefully tomorrow I can get out and catch some more.