Kicker motor questions

scugpg

I'm thinking of tracking down a 6hp 4 stroke as a kicker motor...for safety and for higher speed trolling.

The 8hp is sweet but from a size and weight perspective I don't think an 8hp will work out. However I had a couple questions:

1. Do the 4 stroke single cylinder kickers vibrate/run rough? From what I've read you can't get a twin in less than an 8hp 4 stroke and the singles can be rough.

2. How fast would a 6hp push a boat that weighs around 1100lbs? Hoping to have a top speed of 6-7mph

Thanks!

If the boat weighs 1100 including the hull, main motor, gas, battery etc. you will be OK if that is the bare hull weight and you're adding all that stuff on top it would be close.

That is everything included. Think the boat is around 650 dry.

Thanks for the reply. can anyone comment on how these single cylinders run?

We owned a 4 Hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I found it to vibrate quite a bit compared to some larger (9.9 Hp) engines I have used. I don't know if it was a common problem or isolated to my particular 4 Hp but wasn't impressed with the vibration levels.

The engine overall was excellent. Very fuel efficient and quiet compared to 2 strokers. No problems starting it either.

Hope that helps.

i have a 4hp single cyl 4 stroke yammy...

there is some vibration, but it's not bad at all...

I love the motor, cheap on gas, it's great

it pushes my 16.5 aluminum with full livewell, 3 batteries and 2FF over 5mph at WOT...

That is reasonable then thanks for your reply! 5-7mph is probably the max hull speed anyhow for that size. I'm wondering about getting a built-in or external tank model. I suspect the 1 gallon built in could last several hours at WOT. How do you find stowing the motor out of the water?

I guess the other option is to set it straight and steer with the main motor.

The 8hp is about 25lbs heavier and probably won't fit on the back anyhow.

From what I read Yamaha used to make a 6hp twin, but it was as heavy as the 8.

Edited by scugog

We owned a 4 Hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I found it to vibrate quite a bit compared to some larger (9.9 Hp) engines I have used. I don't know if it was a common problem or isolated to my particular 4 Hp but wasn't impressed with the vibration levels.

The engine overall was excellent. Very fuel efficient and quiet compared to 2 strokers. No problems starting it either.

Hope that helps.

Did it vibrate the entire boat? Or just visible on the motor itself?

From Selling Kickers and installations. The 5-6hp outboards are like cute little sewing machines. single cylinders will always vibrate more than a 9.9 kicker. Your best bet is to go with a 9.9 kicker use a panther link to connect the 2 outboards together and if you have a 14ft boat you can also use it on that as well :)

From Selling Kickers and installations. The 5-6hp outboards are like cute little sewing machines. single cylinders will always vibrate more than a 9.9 kicker. Your best bet is to go with a 9.9 kicker use a panther link to connect the 2 outboards together and if you have a 14ft boat you can also use it on that as well :)

Just don't have the space with the big tiller back there as well not to mention the weight for the 9.9. Will have to go with the egg beater :Gonefishing:

Edited by scugog

I've motored a Honda 4 stroke 2 hp and a Merc 4 stroke 3.5 horse on a freighter canoe and both ran fine. The Honda does indeed sound like a bunch of angry bees when run wot but I didn't notice any extra shake and shimmy 'cept maybe the tiller. Same for the Merc although much quieter and better at half throttle.

Obviously both would have a heart attack if asked to move 1100lbs of boat and gear ;)

I'm wondering about getting a built-in or external tank model. I suspect the 1 gallon built in could last several hours at WOT.

I would defiantly go with the external tank; my 3hp kicker has the built-in and it’s not fun filling the tank, while leaning over the transom when there’s a chop on the water.

Plus with both motors being 4 strokes, all you’ll need to do is tee into the main motors fuel line.

Dan.

The 1 banger might have more vibration at idle but remember as a kicker you're going to be way up past idle on the throttle to get to 2-3 mph trolling speeds and by then should be a lot smoother. My 9.9 to troll for salmon on a 2000 lb rig was past the shift/speed interlock safety on the tiller and to kick it into neutral from trolling you needed to reduce the throttle first or else it was over revving.

The 1 banger might have more vibration at idle but remember as a kicker you're going to be way up past idle on the throttle to get to 2-3 mph trolling speeds and by then should be a lot smoother. My 9.9 to troll for salmon on a 2000 lb rig was past the shift/speed interlock safety on the tiller and to kick it into neutral from trolling you needed to reduce the throttle first or else it was over revving.

Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with. I think a 6hp would be about as big as I could go with that room? It should push it around 6mph/hull speed? Might have to set her straight and steer with the main.

Edited by scugog

Any single-cylinder engine will vibrate more than a twin, but the vibration on new engines isn't bad at all (and nothing like it used to be). I've run Yamaha's current 6 hp and did not find it objectionable in the least. But to give yourself peace of mind, why not buy the motor from a dealer that's on the water, and ask if you can give it a test drive first. Since it's a portable motor, they shouldn't have an issue clamping it to something and letting you take it for a five minute spin.

Yamaha's old 6 hp twin was the same block as the 8 hp, but tuned down for lower hp ... hence the weight being the same. The current 6 shares the same block with the 4 hp, so it is much lighter.

Wow! That's my boat you have there. I have a 60hp 4 stroke Mercury tiller on mine and I can troll down to a crawl with it. Are you sure you need a kicker?

Hey Roy - Is your 60 an EFI? Mine carb'd goes fairly quick at idle...and it don't idle great sometimes (residual water in gas I think, need to go on a good run).

I'm looking at a kicker primarily for a backup motor and occasional trolling.

Hey Roy - Is your 60 an EFI? Mine carb'd goes fairly quick at idle...and it don't idle great sometimes (residual water in gas I think, need to go on a good run).

I'm looking at a kicker primarily for a backup motor and occasional trolling.

Ok, I understand. I'm maxed out at 60 with that boat. Which model is yours? Keep an eye on your transom weight.

Ok, I understand. I'm maxed out at 60 with that boat. Which model is yours? Keep an eye on your transom weight.

I'm rated for a 60 also. The motor is carburated its one of the early 4 stroke mercs (mostly Yamaha motor I believe). Do you have a newer EFI model? You can probably dial them right down.

I hear you on the transom weight, a 6hp could easily go on there. A 9.9 is getting close to the limit I would think.

• 2 weeks later...