Boat Licence for Inflatable with Trolling Motor?

rhymobot

From boaterexam.com

Q. Who needs the Pleasure Craft Operator Card and when?

A. All operators of powered watercraft used for recreational purposes within Canada require the card as of September 15 2009.

As of September 15, 2009 all boaters are required to have the Pleasure Craft Operator Card in order to operate a powered watercraft. There is no grandfather clause or age exemption – this law applies to all boaters. Powered watercraft includes watercraft fitted with any size motor — even an electric trolling motor.

I had the same question last year when my inlaws bought our 8 yr old a battery powered inflateable sea doo from CT. It's not exactly what you are asking, but it's along the same lines, and in the event there are others out there wondering, here is the email I got in response to my question:

Dear Mr. ,

Please excuse the delay in processing your request.

In response to your enquiry regarding the classification of water toys / float tubes as vessels:

Water toys are only considered vessels when they are used in navigation: in being used to direct you around bodies of water. Any water toy that simply moves around near the shore is not considered a vessel and has no safety equipment requirements.

This is the official definition of a vessel from the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulations/acts-2001c26.htm):

“vessel” means a boat, ship or craft designed, used or capable of being used solely or partly for navigation in, on, through or immediately above water, without regard to method or lack of propulsion, and includes such a vessel that is under construction. It does not include a floating object of a prescribed class.

The same applies to self-propelled water toys, but again, if they are used for navigation, just as you might use a canoe or fishing boat, they become pleasure craft.

For the latest updates from the Office of Boating Safety, I encourage you to subscribe to our electronic mailing list: http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/news/mailing_list/menu.htm

For further information, please visit http://www.boatingsafety.gc.ca

Sincerely,

Need a boater's card for the inflatable with the trolling motor.

As for water toys/floatubes... some people on inflatable mattresses were given tickets for not having the proper safety equipment on their 'inflatable mattresses'. wallbash.gif

I doubt many cops are going to do that but but there's at least one out there that did. asshat.gif

The short and correct answer is YES, you need a boater's card. Let's make clear however that this is not a license. There is no record of your holding a boater's card anywhere but perhaps in the books of the card seller who may or may not still be in business. You just need the card because someone may ask to see it.

A boat license in Canada has to do with the boat and in no way affects the owner. This license is required for all vessels with motors of 10HP or more. The license is obtained through Service Canada and a number is issued to be affixed to the boat. This is mainly used for search and rescue.

You only gotta ever do it once, and it's about $40+tax if you do it at BoaterExam.com and use a coupon code to get ten bucks off. My wife and I both just did ours not long ago. Just check RetailMeNot.com for a coupon code.

You only gotta ever do it once, and it's about $40+tax if you do it at BoaterExam.com and use a coupon code to get ten bucks off. My wife and I both just did ours not long ago. Just check RetailMeNot.com for a coupon code.

Don't lose your card though... it can take a long time for them to replace it. And if the company you got it with is no longer in business then you'll have to do it again.

A marine officer recommended I leave my original at home and just carry a photocopy in the boat for just that reason.

Don't lose your card though... it can take a long time for them to replace it. And if the company you got it with is no longer in business then you'll have to do it again.

A marine officer recommended I leave my original at home and just carry a photocopy in the boat for just that reason.

Good advice. I think BoaterExam lets me pay $10 to order a second card or something, but if photocopies are acceptable, I'll be doing this. I had been keeping my card in my tackle box, since it's always with me if I'm in a boat.

I heard the most interesting thing today on the radio about getting your boaters card,and Tybo came to me right off the back.

The boaters commercial said,and I say said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Any boat that is powered by an ENGINE. You yush_gta,are powered by a MOTOR.

Food for thought. Let me know how it works for you.

Funny how somethings just click eh?