How's Rice Lake been so far

Hooked

Heading to Rice Lake this Saturday for 2 weeks, can't wait! Figured I'd ask how the walleye fishing has been so far, or fishing in general? Not that it will matter much, but helps to know if the action has been good. Thanks in advance.

I have nothing to offer in the way of advice Bud but have a great time. thumbsup_anim.gif

Thanks bro, I intend to. :)

Bass tournaments this saturday & sunday.

Watch after weigh in where they take the fish to be released!

I guess I was lucky last year when I was there that I escaped a Bass tournament. Hopefully that doesn't screw up the fishing. But I can always turn my attention to panfish, which are always fun to catch, and even better to eat.

I was there on the Canada Day weekend, the weeds are thick. Fishing is slow but it is expected with this heat, our best results were from drifting along with just a nightcrawler and a splitshot. Suprisingly caught about 5 walleye during the day even though it was hot and sunny, they came from about 10-14 feet of water. Only managed a couple smaller bass, nothing to big. We only had 2 days of fishing so hopefully with 2 weeks you should locate some good fishing.

Rice is the largest Kawartha Lake - it's about 15 miles long.

It would help if we knew where you were staying and what type of boat you have access to.

Don't worry about the bass tournaments - most of those guys fish places others don't go anyway.

Rice is the largest Kawartha Lake - it's about 15 miles long.

It would help if we knew where you were staying and what type of boat you have access to.

Don't worry about the bass tournaments - most of those guys fish places others don't go anyway.

I'll mainly be fishing west of Grape Island. I'll have a 14' aluminum, I also have a transom mount trolling motor with depth finder. I typically fish the weed lines from Grape towards Bewdley and pretty much only troll\drift spinners w/worms, but occasionally jig.

Hot spots are welcome though :). But mainly wanted to know how the fishing has been.

Edited by Hooked

I'll mainly be fishing west of Grape Island. I'll have a 14' aluminum, I also have a transom mount trolling motor with depth finder. I typically fish the weed lines from Grape towards Bewdley and pretty much only troll\drift spinners w/worms, but occasionally jig.

Hot spots are welcome though :). But mainly wanted to know how the fishing has been.

You will do well doing that. No worries, there are lots of eyes in there. All year clases, and some real big ones too. My GF got an 8.5lber the last time I was out there on a worm harness trolled at 1.5mph on a mid lake weed edge. Do that and you will get fish all day.

S.

Some advice from you experienced Rice Lake fishers please. I plan to just rent a boat, which will have no trolling motor or fish finder. How difficult would it be fishing Rice Lake, around the Bewdley area? It would pretty much be my first time out there in a decade.

Would those lake maps, that tackle shops sell, help much at all?

Would Rice Lake get choppy like Simcoe? I rented a boat from this marina in Keswick and as soon as I cleared the marina, the lake was so choppy, I was getting air borne with ease. The speed that I was going at was the same speed that I was cruising in the no-wake marina.

Thanks!

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

Some advice from you experienced Rice Lake fishers please. I plan to just rent a boat, which will have no trolling motor or fish finder. How difficult would it be fishing Rice Lake, around the Bewdley area? It would pretty much be my first time out there in a decade.

Would those lake maps, that tackle shops sell, help much at all?

Would Rice Lake get choppy like Simcoe? I rented a boat from this marina in Keswick and as soon as I cleared the marina, the lake was so choppy, I was getting air borne with ease. The speed that I was going at was the same speed that I was cruising in the no-wake marina. I returned the boat, but the fella said he'd only give me part of my money back.

And here's the second question...Do you think the marina operator should have given back all of my money? Literally, I cruised through the marina, went out just past the rocks, and back in...in total, like 15 minutes and he charged me for 6 hours of boat rental time. I felt that he should be responsible to tell me if the waves were too rough to boat on, especially with a 14' aluminum boat. And he had the nerve to say to me, "I'm not gonna be an idiot and charge you the full 8 hrs."

Thanks!

Yes Rice Lake can get choppy it's a 15 mile long lake as said above and as for the boat rental experience before it's not his fault that you rented it I mean you obviously knew that it was windy and wind usually causes waves, I can bet to that other people would probably still take a boat out in that and have no troubles. If I wear you I would have just taken the boat back out and found a small cove or bay that was some what sheltered. 14 boats can still handle waves if you know what you are doing. I honestly think that it's your fault for renting it before checking the waves. Any time I go out in the boat I always check to see what it's like out and check the weather forecast and radar to see whats coming. As for fishing out of Bewdley yes there is good fishing out there and there are also a bunch of boat rentals right in Bewdley. All I can say for advice is if you want walleye go out past the first 2 Islands they are close together and just past them give it a shot, can't give you any hot spots but that should point you into some fish. I forget the Island names but the maps that the marinas there sell can help you.

Edited by Live2fish85

Yes Rice Lake can get choppy it's a 15 mile long lake as said above and as for the boat rental experience before it's not his fault that you rented it I mean you obviously knew that it was windy and wind usually causes waves, I can bet to that other people would probably still take a boat out in that and have no troubles. If I wear you I would have just taken the boat back out and found a small cove or bay that was some what sheltered. 14 boats can still handle waves if you know what you are doing. I honestly think that it's your fault for renting it before checking the waves. Any time I go out in the boat I always check to see what it's like out and check the weather forecast and radar to see whats coming. As for fishing out of Bewdley yes there is good fishing out there and there are also a bunch of boat rentals right in Bewdley. All I can say for advice is if you want walleye go out past the first 2 Islands they are close together and just past them give it a shot, can't give you any hot spots but that should point you into some fish. I forget the Island names but the maps that the marinas there sell can help you.

Thanks for the insight on Rice. Nothing in particular that I'm going for, just wanted to know if its next to nil locating weed beds, stumps, etc, without the aid of a trolling motor and a fish finder. I'm more than willing to do the leg work and obviously those two devices do aid in locating fish.

EDIT: Sorry, I got carried away, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just wanted to know if Rice is anything like Simcoe and what to expect.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

You will do well doing that. No worries, there are lots of eyes in there. All year clases, and some real big ones too. My GF got an 8.5lber the last time I was out there on a worm harness trolled at 1.5mph on a mid lake weed edge. Do that and you will get fish all day.

S.

Some advice from you experienced Rice Lake fishers please. I plan to just rent a boat, which will have no trolling motor or fish finder.

Would Rice Lake get choppy like Simcoe

Thanks!

The first time i went to Rice or any lake that is part of the Trent-Severn i would go around the green buoys marking the channel. Usually they are along a weed edge and produced fish. Probably Sinker has lots of experience there and if he says its good for all sizes and year classes then you should be good. Rice doesn't get nearly as choppy as Simcoe especially around Bewdley. Good Luck all... :Gonefishing:

I live on Rice and rent boats, so have seen many anglers the last 3 months. The fishing has been EXCELLENT, especially bass since opening end of June.

Walleye have also been good but frustrating as many are caught out of the slot size (35-50cm) and have to be returned.

The weeds are terrible this year, the worst I have seen in 15 years. Had several calls out due to overheating motors, so am asking renters to go in reverse sooner than they might have done in other years.