Near perfect day on the water

NAW

My Wife and I took my mom and step dad out fishing for the day to celebrate their birthdays (July 3 and 6). Either of them have been in my boat before. My mom hasn't fished since we used to live in Pickle Lake, and the last time I fished with my step dad was in the Bahamas about 6 years ago.

I took them to a lake they hadn't been to in about 14 years, where my family cottage is. The cottage is on my Dad's side of the fam, so when my parents split, my mom stopped going to the cottage. It's a shame, because it's a beautiful area.

The day started off bad. Noticed bottom end oil where it shouldn't be.. On the outside of my lower unit. Crack the bottom plug and water trickles out. Seems I have to fix a seal every year. :wallbash: I just topped up the oil, and took it out any ways.

Get to the honey hole, and start banging fish right away. No big ones. managed about 12 small bass, and about 25 blue gills.

DSC01617.jpg

DSC01618.jpg

I was trying for Pike. Tried lots of stuff, but it wasn't working for me. Put on a big yellow cyclopes, first cast. Wham. Kind of fighting like a pike, but not really. Sure aint bass.. Get it to the boat. PICKEREL!!! First one I've ever landed in this lake. I couldn't be more excited!

DSC01615.jpg

My wife suggests we troll over to the cottage for lunch. She loves trolling. I've dub'd her the "Pike Princess" because she always seem to catch pike while trolling. Nothing different this time.

DSC01619.jpg

The day kept getting better once we got to the cottage. We sat on the front porch to eat our lunch. Then we feed the chipmonks their lunch (a tradition at our cottage :canadian:)

DSC01623.jpg

My grandma pushes the peanuts into the cracks on the table, so they have to fight to get them out. This little guy already stuffed half his face full with one peanut, and was fighting to get a second one.

DSC01662.jpg

Grandma has been doing this for so long, they will crawl in her pockets and pull the nuts out them selves.

DSC01650.jpg

Here's the view from the porch. Really can't beat it!

DSC01667.jpg

DSC01666.jpg

After lunch, we tried a few more spots, but only caught pan fish. It was crazy hot, so I went for a dip to cool off.

DSC01668.jpg

DSC01676.jpg

Most of the fish where caught between 15 and 30 FOW. Hook, Worm and Sinker was the trick for bass and pan fish. Pike was on a gold mepps comet, and the pickerel on a yellow cyclops (which I found surprising)

Edited by N.A.W

looks like a great (if somewhat sideways) daythumbsup_anim.gif Congrats - great to get out with the family and catch some fishclapping.gif

For some reason the pictures loaded sideways. they where straight on photo bucket. Went and looked at my post 5 minutes later, and magically they are all straight now. For me anyways.

Pics look good and vertical now....great report! Nice old Mitchell reel on the green Silstar good.gif

Funny you mention that. The rod and reel are my Step dad's. He doesn't fish much. They both have Mastercraft logos on them?? Didn't know they made rods :dunno:

Edited by N.A.W

What a wicked li'l cottage lot man!

Absolutely loved the chippy pics...loved the jam the food in the picnic table idea...and the tail coming out of the pocket was awesome.

I am almost as excited about the walleye you caught...what a cool surprise.

Lol...you can probably tell i really enjoyed that post.

Thanks Man!