Trailer tire wobble & rim quality

scugpg

Seems trailer questions are appearing lots around here lately :) I recently picked up a set of new trailer tires and rims and I notice that they both have a slight wobble to them. DanD and I looked at them and I had them balanced but they are still not running true as we saw on the balancer. I've since got a replacement set of rims to go on and returning the others, however I notice a bit of a wobble with these as well when I put them on the trailer and spin them up.

Is it normal for these smaller rims to not be 100% true? Also is there actually a place to get Canada/US made rims anymore? Everything I see is offshore.

I know the rims are out a bit, but in addition to the rims could the axle/spindle be out a bit? Just wondering if I should take it to a trailer shop to have that checked as well.

Thanks in advance guys!

Edited by scugog

are the bearings loose, that would amplify any wobble..

if you think the axle has a little bend/misalignment in it, just run it on the side of the road in the gravel, if the trailer tires kick up a lot more dust then your truck tires, then it could be bent/misaligned

elevate the trailer and push/pull on the tire like you were checking ball joints. tire shouldn't wobble much at all. spin it and see if it runs true. id guess a bearing issue for lack of any other idea.

all axles are bent, it makes the camber on the tire proper and run straight.

marathons are good tires, and no matter where they are made, the wheel was balanced. ived installed hundreds of the offshore rims you are talking about, but never had a wobbly wheel.

now, how much were you drinking before all the wobbling started....

all axles are bent, it makes the camber on the tire proper and run straight.

some axles are bent upward for camber and all that does is compensates for the deflection under load

however if bent forward or back, it will make it run untrue

trust me, I ripped 3 tires apart trying to get my trailer home with a bend in it

but if that is the case you should notice a wear pattern on the leading side of the tire

Edited by Terry

however if bent forward or back, it will make it run untrue

trust me, I ripped 3 tires apart trying to get my trailer home with a bend in it

but if that is the case you should notice a wear pattern on the leading side of the tire

Now that's very interesting. Checking out something very similar on my trailer right now. The outside edge of tread, just on one side, is really wearing down. Rest of the tread and the other tire is wearing normally. Less than 4000 miles on them. BPS thinks it's just the tire, but I'm having a hard-time believing that. No wobble on the tires and they seem to be running true. Interesting thread.

For "fun" this afternoon I took one of the rims and hub off to make sure the races are in tight...which they were. Put the old hubs on and noticed similar behavior. Repacked the bearings and put the new hub back on.

Here's a video of the Rim & Tire (which we verified is way out on the balancer), and one of just the new rim. You can see a noticeable wobble. Like I said the hubs are tight but they wheels also spin very smoothly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9sThmkQGy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyQKFG1ohI4

Edited by scugog

Is it possible that the rim is bent from hitting a pot hole really hard?

I've got the same problem. I replace the bearings and repacked everything with grease, but the tire still wobbles.

The ones without tires are brand new though and still wobbling. Either rim isn't true or something up with spindle etc. any ideas?

Is it normal for these smaller rims to not be 100% true? Also is there actually a place to get Canada/US made rims anymore? Everything I see is offshore.

Yep, right here in London. I forget the name of the place but its on Firestone Blvd. at Clark and Gore. I'm not sure if they sell to the public though.

Those rims are wayyy out; I think you'd blow a tire from flexing/heat in the sidewalls before they wear out prematurely. That would get you to Fanshaw and back without much trouble but I'd get it cured before heading out to the Kawartha's.

Verified with vendor today that I'm running the correct bearings and races to be sure. Going to put the new rims on the balancer tonight and also check the hubs again to see what the culprit(s) is and get this figured out.

Anyone near you have a dial indicator that you can clamp on to something and put against the face of the hub and turn to see runout?? I have a magnetic base mount in my shop... but I'm not there and you're not close.

Edited by irishfield