G-bay downrigging?

Looking at getting out around Wasaga, not sure of what to expect, depth, distance out in the bay, etc, . Am I better off heading toward Meaford or Thornbury area?

Thanks for any tips.

R

Watch your depth, last year i was trolling in 45-50 feet and ended up on a dang sand bar!

Get a chart!! Too many people think that they can be in deep water and be fine, Georgian Bay is notorious for having big rock cliffs come out of nowhere and while the back of the boat is in 100' of water, the front is up on a shoal. Go to your local West Marine and they should have the chart in stock, otherwise pick one up at one of the local marinas. Spending 30 bucks on a chart sure beats spending a couple thousand to repair your lower end.

Straight out from wasaga is about is flat as it gets. Me and a buddy have rigged G-bay 3 times this summer and can't seem to buy a fish, although there are scattered reports from some of the more "seasoned" G-bay trollers getting a salmon or bow here and there mixed in with a few lakers.

Weather permitting we are going to try straight off wasaga sunday morning, as its the only place we have had no skunkings the past few summers.

As for tackle I'd agree with misfish's suggestion if it was may or june, but this time a year a silver fox in blues and greens with a long lead close to bottom is usually our go to setup.

Good luck, you'll need it out there...LOL :good: