Houseboat Fishing the Kawartha's?

eman

Hey folks,

I'm going on a houseboat adventure for a bachelor party and was hoping some of you would share your experiences. Our path will be leaving from Bobcagen Pigeon Lake along Trent Waterway, through Sturgeon Lake to Lindsay and return. I have only fished the Kawarha's once years ago, and enjoyed catching bass on soft plastics.

I have also never been or fishing on a houseboat and was wondering what to expect. Any comments appreciated, or any hazourdous and shallow areas to watch out for, & of course any fishing tips appreciated. Hoping to land a Muskie trolling.

thanks in advance.

Hey folks,

I'm going on a houseboat adventure for a bachelor party and was hoping some of you would share your experiences.

I have also never been or fishing on a houseboat and was wondering what to expect.

Fishing???? Throw a line off the back... I mean it's a house boat Bachelor Party...

Do you see his line?? Kawarthas a lil while ago...

buckhorn.jpg

Edited by Harrison

Caught 2 muskies while houseboating but I was casting a spinnerbait while we were anchored for the night just before dark on Stoney Lake.

We came out of Pigeon Lake as well both times we rented houseboats......YEARS ago from Three Buoys Houseboats (out of business)...those boats were FANTASTIC...and once from Egan Houseboats....theirs were just OK....

We traveled as far as Balsam Lake and Stoney each time but I didn't really fish Sturgeon Lake until this year while staying with Cliff....no muskies but we caught our share of walleye, perch, bluegills with some crappie and bass.

BTW the above picture looks like a boat from Happy Days Houseboating...this will be our next company we rent from.

Bob

If you seriously want to do some fishing, I would recommend you tow a smaller fishing boat of some kind along with you. This gives you the freedom to explore and fish different areas while using the houseboat as a base.

Hey folks,

I'm going on a houseboat adventure for a bachelor party and was hoping some of you would share your experiences. Our path will be leaving from Bobcagen Pigeon Lake along Trent Waterway, through Sturgeon Lake to Lindsay and return. I have only fished the Kawarha's once years ago, and enjoyed catching bass on soft plastics.

I have also never been or fishing on a houseboat and was wondering what to expect. Any comments appreciated, or any hazourdous and shallow areas to watch out for, & of course any fishing tips appreciated. Hoping to land a Muskie trolling.

thanks in advance.

Did just that on Pigeon last weekend with family..didn't land any muskies despite all the great advice I got here, ..but still managed a few bass and lots of panfish with my kids. Egan provided a good map with depth and contours which was helpful. Houseboats-lots of space to cast/troll, but very poor to maintain position...and they are verrry slow and I found them difficult to maneuver. I'd say plan to have fun with the party and if you catch a ski thats a good bonus. They move at a decent clip for trolling. I'd love to go back to pigeon in a more efficient boat and try again sometime. Lots of good spots there. Enjoy the party and lakes-skdds

thanks for the replies.

fishing unfortunately will not be priority #1, but I will be getting my line wet while the boat is cruising. I beleive our boat is from Happy Days Houseboats. I'll share some pics when I get back.

I have heard a rumor that you can only drink while the boat is docked. Does anyone know if this is true or if its enforced on the lake & waterways.

We have designated for the whole trip so there will be no drinking & boating for the driver.

The laws in Ontario state that no one on board can drink alcohol while under way. Once the "houseboat" is moored, it becomes a house. Having said that all drinking and driving or boating laws are still in effect.

The only thing I would bear in mind is that they are a bit like trying to steer a barn door in a cross wind!

Find a weed bed.. anchor down and then get at the beer and the muskie casting!

I do find the OPP look the other way, unfortunately, when it comes to tourists and houseboats... at least on our lake. They seem to drive right by them even with open beers in view and then pull the local cottagers over for boat inspections hoping to catch a drunk cottager going dock to dock on a sunny afternoon. (why we row to our neighbours!)