Engine oil ?

Rob

Reading some of the post from Johnny Bass's question about spark plugs, Nippissing and Kennyman had a very good discussion on oil types and engine wear. It got me asking myself, is the oil that I am currently using good enough for my motor or am I causing it damage? I am using the Shell Nautaulis oil for my injector and also the gear oil for my lower unit.

What would you guys recommend for use in my motor? Which by the way is a 1999 Suzuki 25hp 2 stroke triple cylinder outboard. Has been a great motor, without any problems.

Rob C

Just my opinion Rob, but personally, I always use whichever oil & filters are recommended by the manufacturer. Myself, I use a Merc motor and so I only use Merc oil and filters in my engine. It may cost more $$$$ but I have peace of mind and know I'm using the right stuff.

Some may disagree with me but that's the way I've always done it and have never had a major problem with any motor I've ever owned.

Lew you are right,there are guys out there that will use nothing but a merc product,especially if it,s a newer motor and warrantied. The Nautilus meets or exceeds and warranties and they back it up with replacement..

I'm still puzzled on where he is putting this motor oil.

I have an oil injected motor Brian, I'm sure you would recognized the motor if you saw it :rolleyes:. The gear oil is not injected I change it every year at the end of the season. I did use the manufacturers oil when I first bought it, but the dealer was too far away and I wanted an oil I could use consistantly.

Rob C

Aw yes that motor. Silly me,just noticed you drink that water from Oro.LOL

You got no worries with what your using already. Thats what I used in my johnson and the merc,and still using it in the mariner. You remember thos motors dont ya? LOL

I had no ider it was you. :wallbash::wallbash:

Just as a side note to your post, I too am like Lew and on a newer motor use OEM products. I have a new Yamaha 4 stroke and my local service dealer told me he would use Yamaha fluids except for the gear case lube. He said the Yamaha lube is just a standard type oil and recommended using Mercury gear lube as it was a semi- synthetic and in his opinion a superior product.

For 2 stroke marine injected - AMSOil HP Injector - switched from Natalist and it seems to run cleaner and smells better.

Lower end fluid I use the Natalist - Reason, I can't find anything else, would like to try Royal Purple marine lower end, but I really don't know where to find it.

Manufacturers spend big money on lubricants to make sure their engines are protected. Specific burn off,low ash deposits and many other attributes are added in for different products. I cannot buy the oils specifically made for Merc or Evinrude direct from manufacturer (Castrol and others) I will go along with Lew and his outlook on this.

For 2 stroke marine injected - AMSOil HP Injector - switched from Natalist and it seems to run cleaner and smells better.

Lower end fluid I use the Natalist - Reason, I can't find anything else, would like to try Royal Purple marine lower end, but I really don't know where to find it.

I wouldn't swear on it, but I thought CTC carried the Amsoil, 75/80-90 lower unit oil.

I wouldn't swear on it, but I thought CTC carried the Amsoil, 75/80-90 lower unit oil.

Ya they do carry the AMSOil gear lube, but I don't think its marine gear lube (not sure it matters) from what I recall it was more for the automotive then marine. But I will look again give me a reason to hit CT stores during my adventures.