Finally got out to fish on the grand

I went out for the first time this season on the grand for some evening casting. The bite was slow until i switched up baits to a mepps spinnerbait. I hooked into two pike at about 15 inches long and missed one on a skitter pop. I'm amazed that i caught a pike in the grand. It was a fun outing that i'm gonna repeat tomorrow with some pics.

one of the biggest pike I ever saw when I was a kid was caught by a lady on the grand at caledonia.

My dad had piled the family in the car for a "sunday drive" and we were going past some people fishing near the caledonia dam when we saw a lady yelling for help. Dad stopped the car and she had a fishing pole in her hand and was screaming for her husband to come and help her, we watched as the husband and lady pulled in a pike that must have been over 40 inches and at least 20 pounds.

I went out for the first time this season on the grand for some evening casting. The bite was slow until i switched up baits to a mepps spinnerbait. I hooked into two pike at about 15 inches long and missed one on a skitter pop. I'm amazed that i caught a pike in the grand. It was a fun outing that i'm gonna repeat tomorrow with some pics.

There are tons of pike in that river. In caledonia esp, guys keep taking home the little guys which makes it hard on them to get to a decent size ,as Ive seen years back in plentifull numbers. On thing I will say, there are some decent sized ones in there, I relaesed a 30 incher not long ago.whistling.gif

I can tell ya that the mooneyes (So much fun with a fly rod!) are in full bloom right now, so there's lots there for pike to eat... I've gotten pike in the hole I usually fish, but haven't seen one yet this year....

I had a good outing trolling ont he Grand last year on a friday afternoon evening: 1 pike - 20", 2 pickeral - 20", 2 - smallies (1 & 2lber), & 5lb sheephead. All fish released.

I agree with the pike cycle theory. I have caught a ton of small pike so far this year in 3 outings (somewhere around 30).

The closing of spring spear & dip net season has alot to do with the increase in Pike populations,no longer are the fish harassed and killed during there spring spawning rituals.Lots of Southern Ontario populations are rebounding well since areas have adopted closed seasons protecting the spawn.

I catch Pike from Dunville Dam right down to Port Maitland, I never really target them but pick off a few while trolling for Walleye. Up above the dam can also be good lots of weed edges and I have got them there aswell, samething I never really target them but grab them either fishing Walleye or at times crappie fishing.