LOTW Walleye

troutologist

After a long spring of full time home renovations I finally got out for a much needed solo fish last week to relax and find some fish for some projects I had coming up this weekend. Weather was hot, sunny and calm and the fish were everywhere. It was fun to be able to chase walleye using whichever method you wanted to practice. Caught fish in 6-10fow on cranks, swim baits and rip jigging and also caught fish rigging and jigging humps in 20-30fow. There was a definite segregation in fish size in different schools, even as close as opposite sides of the same hump. One side provided lunch and the other side some photo worthy fish.

Some self timer shots...

LOTW_2011_06_24_1778.JPG

LOTW_2011_06_24_1780.JPG

DPP_0011.jpg

Later in the afternoon I started chasing some muskies, casting various lures around growing vegtation around shallow rock structure, I had a number of follows even had the same fish come in 3 times but no takers. Though on the weekend we managed to get a beauty 50" fish from an offshore reef.

DPP_0023.jpg

Saw an interesting nature interaction on the weekend as well. Pulled up to a current area near some islands and saw a bear just getting to an island and headed into the bush before the camera was ready. About a minute later a doe and fawn hit the water and headed for the mainland....young fawns are supposed to have little scent which makes me wonder if the bear saw the deer or knew from past experience where to find fawns.

DPP_0007.jpg

Only 4 days of work until 4 more days of fishing....I'm liking this balance.

Great stuff Jay, nice to see a report from you!

As far as the fawns not having scent, my 71/2 month old German Shorthair sniffed one out of a dense thicket last week and caught it.

Had it pinned on the ground with her paws and had her mouth around the deers nose by the time I caught up.

No harm to the fawn at all amazingly. She didn't bite down at all and when I knelt down beside her she let go.

My 4 year old got to pet the baby deer for a minute or two then we backed off and the fawn took off like a scalded cat.

Pretty cool.

Great stuff Jay, nice to see a report from you!

As far as the fawns not having scent, my 71/2 month old German Shorthair sniffed one out of a dense thicket last week and caught it.

Had it pinned on the ground with her paws and had her mouth around the deers nose by the time I caught up.

No harm to the fawn at all amazingly. She didn't bite down at all and when I knelt down beside her she let go.

My 4 year old got to pet the baby deer for a minute or two then we backed off and the fawn took off like a scalded cat.

Pretty cool.

That must have been a pretty intense few moments. Pretty cool for sure.

All the stuff I've heard about bears predating on fawns/calves seems like they use sight and past experience (likely locations) more than in their other feeding endevoours.

Thats a good nose you're pup has. I recently moved near a river in town and with the flooding the deer have been walking around the neighbourhood...they're driving my dog nuts!