What's the most reliable Fishfinder?

chris.brock

My first sonar was a humminbird, 25 years ago, and I've always stuck with them.

My 565 portable, 2 years old, needs a new transducer ($80 after all's said and done), and I've bought quite a few transducers for previous models

I'm happy with the performance of the Humminbirds I've had, I just think they should last longer without repairs

Has anyone bought a few different brands (Eagle, Lowrance, Garmin etc) and has some insight?

thanks

I have had a bunch of Lowrance units over the years and never had an issue with them. My current unit is an LMS-350A I purchased new in the early to mid 90's. It's stll working fine other than a little screen fogging if it gets severely hosed. Replacement time is near and an HDS 10 is most likely be it's replacement.

I and my buddy both have Humminbird Piranha portable finders. I have 1and he has had 2... all with the same battery problem. The batteries explode/leak easily if left in.

He left his 1st in the trunk so we blamed that but he was careful with the 2nd and same thing happened. I left mine in the basement and the batteries leaked and corroded everything badly... I guess it gets hot out in the boat.

So, we had to rewire them so they run off two 6v batteries for me and a 12v battery him. simple to do... and easier to recharge for him anyway.

Finder itself works as good as ever though...

Chris, specifically talking lower end portable units I've never had good luck with Humminbird. I've owned 2 over the years, both have given me grief.

Eagle has far and away been the best brand in my experience.

I currently have an Eagle Cuda 300 portable unit and it's been flawless.

Nothing fancy, but for my uses it's perfect.

So far I have had 2 Humminbird PiranhaMax 20's and have had no troubles other than those of my own making. I mounted the transducer on a piece of wood that I could then clamp on to the canoe or whatever I needed. I had a 12 volt gell cell originally meant for a kids riding toy, but is small and the main unit and battery fits perfect into an old insulated lunch bag I have. I have broken the tranducer mount a few times but managed to mcgyver it back together and work ok.

They show basic info but really the essential info really. Going to be snagging a nicer unit shortly with some more bells and whistles, but again these basic units get the job done.

I just went through the same thing. I had bad experience with humminbird's lower end units. I purchased the Humminbird 550 and was very disapointed with a $275 unit. I returned it and picked up a Garmin 500c. It is a very good unit and I am very happy with it. I've had the chance to understand how to read it, and it has improved my fishing by a lot.

Good Luck