Bass Report - Opener Weekend

ctranter

My typical bass opener usually goes like this: Start super excited to crack out new tackle accumulated while hibernating. Make plans, start bright and early. 7 minutes in, the motor starts cutting out, I lose my precious, expensive new crankbait on a log, and I catch an endless supply of 6-10 inch bass, while the hogs elude me.

This was not a typical bass opener!!!

Despite a very buggy weekend at the cottage, I managed to get out for a morning on Sat and a few more hours on Sunday for some bass fishing. Right off the bat I got a huge topwater hit and landed a nice 17". I was out with my brother and he forgot the camera so I don't have pics from Sat. He got two that were 15" and 16" and we called it in after only an hour or two. There was a lot of work to do at the cottage too so we didn't have much time to fish on Sat.

Sunday morning my GF bailed on me (opting to stay in a cozy bed, as usual) and I set out solo. I trolled for a while with nothing biting and decided so drift with the wind down a shoreline littered with fallen trees. The decision would pay off as I hooked into this hog, which for it's mass can surprisingly jump pretty high. I booted it to a nearby island with rocks to set up a self timer. I knew it tied my PB and I needed a solid pic, and it swam back in the direction it came like a bullet healthy and ready to go again next weekend.

Enjoy!

bigbassq.jpg

One of several ~17", but all were very fat

img0661pr.jpg

Every single fish was full of black spots

img0664v.jpg

The bait of choice!

img0663h.jpg

img0660pc.jpg

img0652i.jpg

Cheers!

img0649cg.jpg

Edited by ctranter

Great stuff....looks like a nice population of smallies in the lake....how long did the big one tape out at?

Oops thought I mentioned... she was 21". I wish I had a scale to weigh her as well. Any guess as to how much she weighs?

Very nice! All the smallies in the 21" range that I've weighed have been in the bottome end of the 4lb range. One 21.5"er that had great girth was 4lbs13oz....but all others under 4.5 ;) Great fish man, congrats!

congrats on the new PB..... that shallow runner gives me ideas..... hmmmm ... lol :whistling:

Haha yeah those super shallow cranks always do pretty well for me. I think a big part of why I use them is to see the fish come up and hammer them from beneath, often jumping out of the water on the hit. The lake is very shallow and weedy as well

Very nice! All the smallies in the 21" range that I've weighed have been in the bottome end of the 4lb range. One 21.5"er that had great girth was 4lbs13oz....but all others under 4.5 ;) Great fish man, congrats!

Ah just short of a nickel, most likely. I guess I'll just have to get back out there in search of a 5er smallie. Cheers!