Dangerous boat operator in Rice Lake.

Steelcat

Guilty here,BUT.

Fishing a lake that has bouys to guide you straight through a channel, with no speed limit and trying to get to your spot before any other,and theres boats anchored beside the channel,you anchored boaters,take your chances.

Im not saying it,s right that we blast through,but it,s not wrong.

i agree.. there are spots you simply cannot fish in the day or in the summer due to the heavy boat traffic - that's just the way it is. you cannot expect people to get off plane on a marked channel because you are there fishing, tied up to the buoy (which is illegal btw). first and foremost, it's a throughfare. common sense goes both ways. there are lots of other places to fish.

Edited by Raf

Guilty here,BUT.

Fishing a lake that has bouys to guide you straight through a channel, with no speed limit and trying to get to your spot before any other,and theres boats anchored beside the channel,you anchored boaters,take your chances.

Fine line Brian, I hear ya though.

Otonabee?

Ummhmmm.

They aren't actually tournament pros Jer. They can afford to buy a big bass boat and truck to tow it, then call themselves tournament pros! Those things can be killing machines in an inexperienced operator's hands. They go to marina buy the boat, stick it in the water, and off they go without any training.

It happens to me weekly out on Pigeon and it's so dangerous. However, thank God for the Boaters Card. They know what they're doing!

There are arses in every walk of life.

Edited by Harrison

Guilty here,BUT.

No... it's wrong. You are wrong. Depending of course upon how close you really are to them... but I think if you're saying, "blast through" them it must be damn close.

Maybe they shouldn't be anchored there if it's a small channel... but they are, you can't just blast through and put their lives in danger just because you think you have the right to blast through because there's no speed limit. The callousness that you'll put someone else's life at risk is shocking and unacceptable.

No... it's wrong. You are wrong. Depending of course upon how close you really are to them... but I think if you're saying, "blast through" them it must be damn close.

Maybe they shouldn't be anchored there if it's a small channel... but they are, you can't just blast through and put their lives in danger just because you think you have the right to blast through because there's no speed limit. The callousness that you'll put someone else's life at risk is shocking and unacceptable.

Thier not right beside me, if thats what your thinking.Also, like said,they know it,s a busy pass through,why fish it and put themselves at risk. It,s not just blasting through. Large crusiers go through it and make much more of a wake then a bass boat does .Thier pushing alot of water away. Go on Sparrow and see what it,s like.

Wrong? IYO Yes,but like I said,,,,,,,,

Edited by Misfish

Where my boat is you have to travel quite a while through a very narrow channel to get out into the open water. It gets busy, especially on weekends. Mostly people fish on the outside of the channel, but sometimes people fish the channel itself. This is extremely annoying and shows a lack of common sense. It's like playing street hockey on Queen street - you just don't.

Thier not right beside me, if thats what your thinking.Also, like said,they know it,s a busy pass through,why fish it and put themselves at risk. It,s not just blasting through. Large crusiers go through it and make much more of a wake then a bass boat does .Thier pushing alot of water away. Go on Sparrow and see what it,s like.

Wrong? IYO Yes,but like I said,,,,,,,,

That is just it though... It is wrong. Pick up a boaters hand guide dude. Anchored fisherman have the right of way. Fisherman that are not in operation of their powered engine have the right of way. Same as canoers, sailboats and swimmers.

If your actions were seen by an OPP, you would be ticketed I am sure. Channel or not. If there were people in a canoe paddling in the channel, do you blast within feet of them too? ... Well, after reading some of the OPP stories on here maybe not. You are still in the wrong. Channel or not.

Edited by F_ast

That is just it though... It is wrong. Pick up a boaters hand guide dude. Anchored fisherman have the right of way. Fisherman that are not in operation of their powered engine have the right of way. Same as canoers, sailboats and swimmers.

If your actions were seen by an OPP, you would be ticketed I am sure. Channel or not. If there were people in a canoe paddling in the channel, do you blast within feet of them too? ... Well, after reading some of the OPP stories on here maybe not. You are still in the wrong. Channel or not.

Right of way? my friend 1st and foremost it is illegal to anchor in a navagation channel and impede marine traffic so he would be the one getting the ticket.The guys orignally posted about are not likely fishing a bass tournament because there are 3 of them in the boat.Reminds me of the guy that droped a bow and stern anchor in the middle of the nav channel openning to the Otonabee and sat sideways in a channel that's about 60' wide,every cruiser had to come off plane to get around him,they only reason the dumb==s's didn't get soaked by my rooster tail was they had a teenager in the boat.Did I run past him doing 50mph,yup,was I indangering them,not at all,virtually no wake,did they clue in and pull the anchors?nope sat there for hours,they deserved to get soaked and if anyone was contributing to a potentially dangerous situation it was they themselves,they say you can't fix or legislate stupid.

Right of way? my friend 1st and foremost it is illegal to anchor in a navagation channel and impede marine traffic so he would be the one getting the ticket.The guys orignally posted about are not likely fishing a bass tournament because there are 3 of them in the boat.Reminds me of the guy that droped a bow and stern anchor in the middle of the nav channel openning to the Otonabee and sat sideways in a channel that's about 60' wide,every cruiser had to come off plane to get around him,they only reason the dumb==s's didn't get soaked by my rooster tail was they had a teenager in the boat.Did I run past him doing 50mph,yup,was I indangering them,not at all,virtually no wake,did they clue in and pull the anchors?nope sat there for hours,they deserved to get soaked and if anyone was contributing to a potentially dangerous situation it was they themselves,they say you can't fix or legislate stupid.

Think of it as a pedestrian on the street, ya, they should not be there, but doesn't mean you can "run them off the road". As a boater, you need to be in compete control of your craft. Even in control of your craft, if rolling at 60mph the guy in the anchors boat gets nervous fires up and just happens to go the wrong way... then what? The fact that most people these days simply are not courteous to others on the water is just blatantly obvious.

Think of it as a pedestrian on the street, ya, they should not be there, but doesn't mean you can "run them off the road". As a boater, you need to be in compete control of your craft. Even in control of your craft, if rolling at 60mph the guy in the anchors boat gets nervous fires up and just happens to go the wrong way... then what? The fact that most people these days simply are not courteous to others on the water is just blatantly obvious.

It's hard to really judge from a post what exactly everyone means by 'close' on the water.

People shouldn't be fishing in designated navigation channels. If it's just a narrow section of a river though then boaters have to slow down and respect the anchored boat.

It's always best to stay further away anyways on the water. I have a place on the Ottawa River and am always seeing big cruisers pass each other within 20-30 yards on an otherwise deserted stretch of water... almost like they don't want to bother turning the wheel a hair and slightly detour. Kind of like, "I'm not moving... he can move!"

It really dosn't matter who is in the right or wrong....it's all about having alittle repect for everyone on the water. Sometimes I may be fishing a drop off on the channel and boats may be all over me, but show some respect and most do, I must say and friendly wave is given, not very often a boat blasts by me they are ussually very respectfull, I fished the Karwathaw lakes and yes alot of boat traffic but most are very polite. There are a few.....but I; ve got nothing good things to say about the kawartha's

Sometimes in a situation 2 people can both be wrong. A boater can be held responsible for the damage there wake causes. As well you're not supposed to anchor yourself to a navigational bouy. I would be willing to bet a shiny dollar bill tht if some guy was achored illegally, and someone swamped him and killed him. The guy doing the swamping would get charged.