Boat Seats

supernaut

I have the regular bench that goes across, I've mounted the store bought bracket with the clamps but they always come loose and it doesn't matter how much I torque it down.

Use pliers and tighten always worked for me.but you have to tighten almost every outing if you encounter heavy chop.

There is a very simple and good method for bolting them in.

I used 1/4" plus nuts to bolt my seats in (they were originally just screwed in from the factory). They are much stronger now and with lock washers will never come loose unless I want them to.

Plus Nuts

photoofplusnut.gif

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I have the bracket clamps mounted directly to the seat no wood, the bench is metal on top of floatation material.

The Plus Nuts I posted about will do the trick for you.

I have some 5/16" ones and an installation tool I can send you when the mail strike is over if you like. Unfortunately I don't have any 1/4" ones so you will need to open up the holes on your seat mount.

I like the solutions that Drifter and Irish have proposed. I went one step further and cut out an access hatch on the side of my bench then removed enough flotation to allow installation of a backing plate/strip of aluminum, used a seat base as a guide for drilling holes in said backing plate and bolted in seat base with nylock nuts. Fill in the space with expandable foam and rivet a cover plate over the access hole. Comes out pretty tidy, not a great deal of work and solid!!

This allows me to use a pedestal seat with a removable post. Post in for fishing, post out for traveling. Had this setup for 6 or 7 years now, used it in rough water many times with post in and adult casting from seat with no troubles. Last year I even bought a "bicycle" seat style seat on an extendable post and have no trouble leaning against the seat with my feat on the gunwales and casting.

Edited by SylvanOwner

Supernaut, thanks for starting this thread , I had been wondering what i could do as well. My seats also become loose after a while. Most of the people I know have much nicer boats tha mine and don't have this hassle with brackets. LOL

Thanks guys for the ideas, I'll investigate the Plus or Well nuts as an option.

Here's another product you might consider:

seat mount.JPG

If you look just above / right to the gas can in the bow, you will see an aluminum piece fastened with SS screws to front of seat bulkhead. Check the seat immediately behind and you will see how the seat attachment fits into this piece-kind of a tilt and drop in. The seat bolts down onto an aluminum plate that fits onto the length of aluminum.

It is stable, and you can create several positions in the boat for the same seat.

I got this material several years ago and can't remember the name of it, but maybe someone else does and can help source if you're interested.

Drifter! Where did you purchase those Plus Nuts ?

I got mine at the business I was working at in the 90's down in Mississauga.

They don't sell to the public though as they are a manufacturing plant that deals with truck up-fitting.

You could order them online though.

seat mount.JPG

If you look just above / right to the gas can in the bow, you will see an aluminum piece fastened with SS screws to front of seat bulkhead. Check the seat immediately behind and you will see how the seat attachment fits into this piece-kind of a tilt and drop in. The seat bolts down onto an aluminum plate that fits onto the length of aluminum.

It is stable, and you can create several positions in the boat for the same seat.

I got this material several years ago and can't remember the name of it, but maybe someone else does and can help source if you're interested.

This is the same system I used and is by far the best for smaller boats.

seat mount.JPG

I like this method as well, allows the seat to slide which you can use to adjust balance or find that perfect driving position and easy removal for theft proofing. Just don't leave the seats in while traveling because they will slide out when driving and may even roll out of the boat, say while on the highway or something :whistling::unsure::oops:

I like this method as well, allows the seat to slide which you can use to adjust balance or find that perfect driving position

Yes, as you or your spouse gains weight over the years....

Just don't leave the seats in while traveling because they will slide out when driving and may even roll out of the boat, say while on the highway or something :whistling::unsure::oops:

Never had a problem with this...backs fold down and rubber bumpers provide some friction...you had some bad luck?