OFAH looking for a fisheries technician

Big Cliff

My son just graduated from University of Western Ont. with his Bsc. Hon. specialization in Biology. I've suggested he look into the MNR but I don't know if it's a good career move. You'd think that starting in the MNR at 22 years old can't be a bad thing...

Dave

I worked there for 6 weeks, a few years ago. Its the only job in my life I had to quit. Those guys are all about thier money. No passion for the resource from what I saw there.

S.

Well, if you want to change things the best place to do it would be from the inside?

My son just graduated from University of Western Ont. with his Bsc. Hon. specialization in Biology. I've suggested he look into the MNR but I don't know if it's a good career move. You'd think that starting in the MNR at 22 years old can't be a bad thing...

Dave

Why wouldn't it be a good career move?

They usually start at a huge salary and have all the equipment a biologist could need. How many private opportunities are there out in that field?

Dave

He should start now when heis young, that's if he even gets a shot at it. From the the folks I know in the MNR, they all had to put in their contract time at various locations across Ontario before securing a FT Perm position years down the road.

Edited by Harrison

He should start now when heis young, that's if he even gets a shot at it. From the the folks I know in the MNR, they all had to put in their contract time at various locations across Ontario before securing a FT Perm position years down the road.

That seems to be the way things go, there are a lot of seasonal contracts, just have to be willing to move around to where the work is....best advice is to try a few and decide whether he really wants to be a bio. If you really want to then you will have to move to where the work is (not just in Ontario), there are certainly a lot more trained people in Canada than jobs available. Lots of pros and lots of cons to Govt work, not all huge salaries and cutting edge equipment like some would think. Once you get into the 3-5yrs experience range you have a lot more options.

Being young is a great time to travel and do some extended field work, lots of opportunities to see some amazing places on the company's (Queen's) dime.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Definitely the best advice so far.

An honours is quite the accomplishment but for bio positions he will be competing with some of canada's brightest. Most of my chums who have a bio position by my age (30) have completed their masters. It's not impossible with an honours but he may have to climb his way through the ranks and get some internal job postings etc. It's not for everybody and after 8 years I recently decided is wasn't for me and went back to school. Best of luck to your son.

I would not become a biologist if I knew what I know now. Many could say that about their job. That said, I got lucky and I’m fairly happy. I really wouldn’t know what else to do, but it might involve something that allowed me to fish a lot. It can be a long hard road. I know many that didn’t stick it out. Pay is not great. Many rarely get in the field or handle fish, but are stuck behind a desk helping developers get the job done.