Lake Eugenia...

it has gone from a hidden gem which would produce a 20lb sack in a tournament to one where 13 makes money even wins it. Its infested with carp, now has gobies in it and has lost a large percentage of its weeds and is way over fished, top that with the worst boat launch ever, its on the bottom of the list for lots Its a small lake and just cant handle the pressure it recieves.

Sure you ll catch some bass, but if all your looking for is 1 and 2 lb clones enjoy, there are many many better options then Lake E, unless you love tubing and such

I have fished it for better then 15 yrs now had a place there and know it intimately, In my opinion its just not fun anymore, for the same drive from my place Im on port colborne

it has gone from a hidden gem which would produce a 20lb sack in a tournament to one where 13 makes money even wins it. Its infested with carp, now has gobies in it and has lost a large percentage of its weeds and is way over fished, top that with the worst boat launch ever, its on the bottom of the list for lots Its a small lake and just cant handle the pressure it recieves.

What he said.

Yup. Fished it a couple years ago, truly disappointing. Way overfished for the size of lake.

Wow...this is very sad news. The truth of the matter is I grew up on that lake back in the 70's. We lived in a small winterized cottage over near the lodges by the causeway. Back then, believe it or not, there were no largemouth in the lake. I spent a million hours as a boy fishing off the causeway bridge for rainbows, specks and the occasional brown. Other than a boat load of rock bass, it was a pure trout lake. There was an area known to the locals as the traps...this is where the Beaver river entered the lake. It was a log jammed maze that lead into the river accessable only by canoe. This was the holy grail of trout fishing at the time.

I'll hang on the these memories and not go.

Dave

Sure you ll catch some bass, but if all your looking for is 1 and 2 lb clones enjoy, there are many many better options then Lake E, unless you love tubing and such

I have fished it for better then 15 yrs now had a place there and know it intimately, In my opinion its just not fun anymore, for the same drive from my place Im on port colborne

Don't you have a cottage on Eugenia? :lol:

Once or twice a year, if im heading past it, I will stop and take a look. Not worth it for me to fish it anymore.

My last time fishing there, i did well. Launched my boat and on the way back from a day of fishing. Some lady sitting in a car was charging people ten dollars for the rampblink.gif Some benefit or something was going ondunno.gif I asked if she had register receipt or something saying who its going too, an address, a number, coordinator(s) info etc.

She looked at me as if I wasblink.gif

Guess what, bye bye and no way!

Bingo. Another reason to always keep good spots under your hat.

Exactly.

When I see someone post about a small lake, as this one,(although it,s screwed now)I quickly PM and ask not to ask or share (but will give tips if it,s a longtime member)It does work. Call me what ya want,but these small lakes with easy access,need to be kept to yourself.

Wow...this is very sad news. The truth of the matter is I grew up on that lake back in the 70's. We lived in a small winterized cottage over near the lodges by the causeway. Back then, believe it or not, there were no largemouth in the lake. I spent a million hours as a boy fishing off the causeway bridge for rainbows, specks and the occasional brown. Other than a boat load of rock bass, it was a pure trout lake. There was an area known to the locals as the traps...this is where the Beaver river entered the lake. It was a log jammed maze that lead into the river accessable only by canoe. This was the holy grail of trout fishing at the time.

I'll hang on the these memories and not go.

Dave

I think in 85 the lake was drawn down to do some work on the dam and all that stand up timber was cut down by the cottagers on that point. It was for a while pure heaven to toss a blade and thump those stumps....There are brook trout and rainbows in there, but to target them is a whole other saga, I can usually find 1 or so but its a needle in a haystack and they are always on one spot, I deep seep I think

Ahh poor Eugenia.... :wallbash: I remember fishing it a few years back it wasn't what it used to be, or from what I heard even close! Really unfortunate when this kind of stuff happens to what was once a gem of a lake.

Ahh poor Eugenia.... :wallbash: I remember fishing it a few years back it wasn't what it used to be, or from what I heard even close! Really unfortunate when this kind of stuff happens to what was once a gem of a lake.

Yup, "death by internet"! There are still quality fish, however, they are hammered by too much pressure on such a small lake.