Custom Light Saber Rod

So, I finished my wife's custom rod. Being a Star Wars nerd, I made her a light saber fishing rod. unfortunately, I could not figure out a way to include lights or sounds. However, it has a sparkly paint job.

Here are the details of the rod:

blank - MHX MB783

grip - eva foam (portions wrapped in x flocked shrink tubing)

guides - blue nanolite on stainless steel frames

thread - blue to match the rod

reel seat - Fuji ACS painted silver to maintain the metallic feel of the rod

winding checks and bling - Matagi aluminum components

I painted the blank with a base coat of blue. I then cleared over it with rod finish in which I mixed blue metallic flakes to produce a sparkle effect under the light.

Here are some pics (more and better ones to follow):

P5212014.jpg

The pictures do not do the sparkle finish justice.

P5212011.jpg

Yeah, my wife uses a baitcaster.

A closer look...

P5212015.jpg

I have built 10 rods thus far, and this was by far, the most custom. I am quite happy with how it turned out, although the paint and finish added significant weight in my opinion.

My wife did not catch anything that first time out. However, on her next outing, she christened this bad boy with some topwater action. I love when people catch fish on rods I have made. It is very gratifying.

All comments and criticism is welcome!

Edited by PainInTheBass

Very nice work! It's always more satisfying when you make things yourself.

Question about hook-keepers: I have many rods with the same style as you used, but I just got a rod with a different style keeper. The loop of wire runs parallel to the blank (points towards tip). Are these harder to tie? I much prefer them.

Anyhow, that's a minor detail. Well done!

I find those types of hook keepers less time consuming to tie, only because I am tying 1 band rather than 2. To be honest, the loop style hook keeper, as shown in the pics above, is easier to tie since you can really secure one arm to the blank while tying wrapping the first arm. After that, the second arm is a breeze. However, the type of hook keeper, for me at least, depends on my desired techniques for that rod. (Although, in this case, it was decided by the fact that this hook keeper was blue, and matched her rod. lol)

Thanks for all the comments guys. I am in love with rod building now lol. All my friends are getting me to build customs for them. One day, I will build one for me too lol.

Ten rods you say, hell I'd have thought hundreds. Nice work. thumbsup_anim.gif

All of the complements are much appreciated!

Spiel, a compliment from another rod builder is very flattering.

Thanks all!

I have to try and get some pictures of some of the other rods I have built. Most are in the hands of their owners now. i do fish with them, and will try to get pics when I fish with them next.

Spiel, a compliment from another rod builder is very flattering.

It's worthy of compliment, I can see (and know) the amount work involved and your work looks flawless and certainly carries artistic merit too. I'm sure if you're anything like me your biggest critic is always yourself. wink.gif

Again, nice work. thumbsup_anim.gif

It's worthy of compliment, I can see (and know) the amount work involved and your work looks flawless and certainly carries artistic merit too. I'm sure if you're anything like me your biggest critic is always yourself. wink.gif

Again, nice work. thumbsup_anim.gif

It's funny that you mention that as I always notice the little things in every build that bother the hell out of me. However, the wife never notices anything. I guess that is a good thing since it shows that we take a lot of pride in our work.