Lower Unit Help

Victor

Hey guys,

2 season ago I came home after a day at the lake and found out that some fishing line got wrapped into my prop :wallbash: and oil started leaking from the prop area. After doing some research on the internet and talking to some people about the problem I learned that I needed to replace the lower unit seals. I figured since I'm getting into the lower unit I may as well replace the impeller. I ordered those parts and spent countless hours trying to figure everything out but I'm just stuck and hopefully you guys can help.

It's a 1986 20hp Evinrude E20TECDC. I have even found the parts list online:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1986/E20TECDC%201986/GEARCASE/parts.html

I learned that I needed to remove the intake screen to expose the shift linkage and I have removed the upper/lower shift linkage. However I can't seem to get the upper shift rod keeper (part # 71) and the shift rod connector (part #66) off. The lower unit should just come off after I get that part removed. Here's a picture of where I'm at.

P6135094.jpg

Hopefully someone can give me some tips on how to get this off. It's been very frustrating and that's why I haven't used my boat for almost 2 seasons. After I get that off I'll still need to figure out how to replace the seals/impeller which will be a whole new ballgame. :wallbash:

Thanks in advance!

Victor

Linkage is most likely right under the powerhead ...you will need to remove the flywheel nut, the flywheel and then the powerhead (get a gasket first) .. then the small nut holding the linkage will be accessible

Edited by camillj

Linkage is most likely right under the powerhead ...you will need to remove the flywheel nut, the flywheel and then the powerhead (get a gasket first) .. then the small nut holding the linkage will be accessible

From the limited amount of information I gathered from the web, it seems that I don't have/need to remove a linkage from the top. I took a look at the parts lists for the powerhead and didn't find any parts that relates to shift linkage. I could be wrong though.

I've seen the driveshaft, part #50, get stuck from carbon fouling and it won't release from the splined insert. Sometimes a sharp tap with a rubber hammer will loosen it up.

a couple taps should loosen it, it has been together for 25 years might be a bit corroded

I actually could slide the lower unit down so I think the driveshaft isn't the issue, but the parts I mentioned (part 71 and 66) would get stuck at the top of the lower unit and the lower unit would be hanging from those 2 parts. I need to somehow get those 2 parts off.

Thanks for all the advices so far guys. I will spend some more time on it.

Edited by Victor

Victor, the union in your picture is the shift lever disconnect. Its a serious pain to take apart. Look at the parts catalogues at epc.brp.com. There is a little keeper (#71) in there that locks the shift lever in place. Good luck. Buy a replacement keeper as you may end up breaking the one that's in there.

Sorry. I didn't read close enough. I see you know about part #71. As I recall, its a split ferrel. You'll have to tear, rip, hammer it out. Whatever it takes. Did I mention to buy a replacement? ha

Edited by boatman

Kevin, the union in your picture is the shift lever disconnect. Its a serious pain to take apart. Look at the parts catalogues at epc.brp.com. There is a little keeper (#71) in there that locks the shift lever in place. Good luck. Buy a replacement keeper as you may end up breaking the one that's in there.

Sorry. I didn't read close enough. I see you know about part #71. As I recall, its a split ferrel. You'll have to tear, rip, hammer it out. Whatever it takes. Did I mention to buy a replacement? ha

Thanks for the tip boatman.

Is there any other way of removing the lower unit so I can service the impeller?