Rod Sensitivity Question

Wymen

So I picked up a St Croix Legend Extreme ML spinning rod for walleye fishing. Paired with Power Pro braid tipped with Flurocarbon, I can feel everything! I have a St Croix Legend Tournament M spinning rod and it seems like there is a world of a difference.

What I was wondering is if I'm going to feel that type of sensitivity if I move up to a MH casting rod. Or will the sensitivity lessen due to a stiffer rod?

Wymen

The sensitivity will decrease because sensitivity is a function of mass of the rod. The greater the mass of the rod, the more energy from the strike/tap is absorbed by the rod. Because a MH will typically be more massive (heavier) than a ML rod, then it will typically be less sensitive. Tthis applies to static rods. Other physics come into play when you consider the action (or degree of deflection). The more the tip of the rod deflects with a given force, the less energy is transferred to down tot handle and the angler's hand.

But given the same action, with only a difference in power, the lighter (powered and by weight) rod should be more sensitive.

I think you have it backwards...If a shock absorber works by cushioning the bump there-by reducing the impact and making it less noticeable, then a soft rod hides the bump where as a stiffer rod will transmit more of the bump, making a stiffer rod more sensitive.

Sensitivity can depend on the modulus of the graphite used in the rod, a rod made of IM6/IM7/IM8 can be built with similar flex and strength characteristics to that of a rod that uses cheaper material (lower modulus) while making the tube wall thinner, which in theory makes the rod lighter and more sensitive. As a simplified rule the greater the modulus the thinner you can make the walls of the blank (most rods are hollow) and retain the same "stiffness", the down side being that higher modulus graphite construction tens to be more brittle.

That being said, just because a rod is built using IM6/IM7/IM8 does not necessarily mean it's a decent rod. How the material is laid up, other material that is used with the graphite, length, type of taper, length, are all components of a rod/blank and determine the action (fast or slow). After that you have guides and guide placement, handle and how it is seated and so on.

So to answer your question if the ML and MH rods are the same construction using the same modulus graphite the MH will be less sensitive because it will be heavier, but I am not sure this is so important in a casting rod.

fwiw,

Dan

I think you have it backwards...If a shock absorber works by cushioning the bump there-by reducing the impact and making it less noticeable, then a soft rod hides the bump where as a stiffer rod will transmit more of the bump, making a stiffer rod more sensitive.

I agree with this. It's like shocks on a car. The stiffer they are the more you feel every little crack an bump in the road. The softer the shocks the less you feel them.

I have a 6'6" MH Abu garcia vendetta and I feel everything. I even wet perch fining with it to test it out since it was my first baitcaster outfit and i wanted to practise with it before pike and bass season opened, and I felt every little nibble. The rod is quite stiff, but then again my Berkley Lightning shock 6'6" M spinning rod also feels every nibble. To me I feel everything the same with all the rods I've tries thus far but I'm new to the sport and haven't tried any of those high end $200+ rods.

Let's not forget that you are spooled up with Power Pro, braided line also does wonders for sensitivity. With a good quality MH rod, it will be plenty sensitive. I love my St Croix Premier and my Quantum Tour Edition MH spinning rods that do double duty for pike and for pulling walleye harnesses, they are nice and light and are very sensitive.

You are both correct - to a point. The stiffer the rod the more efficiently vibration is transmitted i.e. the wave loses less energy in deforming the medium in which it is traveling. It's the finely balanced combination of the stiffness/tip flexibility and low mass of graphite that gives us the awesome feedback we take for granted these days.

When we say a rod is more "sensitive" what we really mean is the wave reaches our hands with more amplitude.

To say a light rod is more sensitive, or a heavy rod is more sensitive isn't accurate. Toss a soft plastic worm on a 1/4oz jighead with a twig off the ground, or a telephone pole, and you'll experience the same amount of feedback - none...although with the twig you will know when you have a fish on!!! laugh.gif

Bascially what I was describing was what you had said, but you were able to do so more clearly. Basically, I did not intend to say that a stiffer rod was less sensitive than a slower action rod. I meant anything that will absorb or transform energy along the length of a rod will make it less sensitive. This includes larger mass and a slower action. Energy needs to be transferred along the length of a rod in order for the angler to feel anything at the grip. Greater mass effectively absorbs this energy. A slower action effectively transforms this energy.

The use of stretchy mono or a no stretch braid also has contibuting factors.

In the past I often used wooden sticks wrapped with low stretch mono for ice fishing, the sensitivity is unmatched. whistling.gif

Don't forget the bell and the trail tape, lol!!

Watching your accu view ice fishing it becomes apparent that the best equipment we have is not good enough. You watch fish after fish strike and feel nothing.

So stiffer rods aren't the answer.

What does help is softer tip rods with more backbone. This is making the angler more sensitive. You have line watching and that flexing tip, plus the tick. 3 is better than 1.