Mississippi Lake Walleye/Pike Report

Hello All,

June 9, 2011

With my good friend Christine in town, and our schedules both open on Thursday, a plan was hatched to get out for a day of chasing walleye. With a front moving through, and a powerful storm hitting the area the previous day, hopes were high that conditions were ripe for a feeding frenzy.

We set off for Carleton Place and launched into Mississippi Lake at 9am. The air temperature was warm (but cooler than the day before) and winds were 10 to 15 clicks. A short boat ride and we were at a favourite spot of mine – a deep, rock strewn shoreline. A few casts in and Christine hoists the first fish of the day in – a jumbo ‘gill. Came on a crankbait. I was working an orange nuckle ball jig and a white, four-inch grub. Working the jig in 8 to 12-feet of water, I scored the first walleye of the day as we passed over a slight hump. It was a small, 14-inch fish. Felt good to get that first walleye in the boat of 2011!

Here is Christine's first of 2011...

Report1-2.jpg

For the rest of the report and more pics, check out my blog/website:

http://www.justinhoffmanoutdoors.wordpress.com

Thanks for reading...

Good Fishing,

Justin

Terry - I really struggle on this lake, especially on the walleye. You get one or two and think you've hit paydirt, then not another fish. Was like this this week. From what I have heard, a lot of the fish suspend in the main basin come summer - trolling with small cranks and planer boards does the trick.

Going to head back this coming week. Might fish the afternoon/evening period - see if they turn on more towards dark.

Good Fishing,

Justin

I always came from Perth , so I put in, in a creek on the south west end of the lake, so that's the area I fished most

and did very well at night...oh well I don't get down that way much anymore, but I really like the lake

Great report Justinclapping.gif As an Ottawa boy myself, i fished the Mississippi many years ago.I have a friend in Perth, Doug Anderson who wants me to fish walleye with him this summer out by Pickeral Point.May take him up on his offer.

Paul