Trailer Parks

radar

My wife surprised me and asked if I thought we should buy a trailer. She's thinking permanent, deck, shed etc. I'm think dockage for boat, fishing, getting away to fish, thinking about fishing, waking up near the lake to fish, coming in late from fishing.

Would need beach, playground (young kids)

I'm in Markham. I was thinking Sturgeon, Chemong, Rice?, Scugog - more southern Kawarthas.

Any suggestions for decent parks.

Anything I should be aware of? Fees? Hydro? Insurance?

My wife surprised me and asked if I thought we should buy a trailer. She's thinking permanent, deck, shed etc. I'm think dockage for boat, fishing, getting away to fish, thinking about fishing, waking up near the lake to fish, coming in late from fishing.

Would need beach, playground (young kids)

I'm in Markham. I was thinking Sturgeon, Chemong, Rice?, Scugog - more southern Kawarthas.

Any suggestions for decent parks.

Anything I should be aware of? Fees? Hydro? Insurance?

Had a trailer for 7 years at Goreski`s on Scugog, great park for families, beach,two pools,splash pad etc.

From what I recall the fee`s were getting a little steep including the dock fee we were at 3200 a year and that was 3 years ago.

The park I am in now Lazee Acres is considerably less than Goreski`s but so are the ammenities.

One thing that I really like about the park is it`s location to some pretty good fishing opportunities,

Simcoe and Couch are just a few minutes away,Canal lake just down the road,Head lake a few minutes away,Balsam lake close by and the Muskoka lake are about 45 minutes away.

It can be an expensive hobby when you consider all of the cost and before you sign read the park rules some can be pretty restrictive.

Had a trailer for 7 years at Goreski`s on Scugog, great park for families, beach,two pools,splash pad etc.

From what I recall the fee`s were getting a little steep including the dock fee we were at 3200 a year and that was 3 years ago.

I live very near another Parkbridge trailer park, Grandview Resort on Upper Buckhorn. I was speaking with one of the "campers" a few days ago. Apparently their fees are up to $3500 a year and that's not including a boat slip, which there is a waiting list for.

"IF" you do....buy second hand at 40 cents to the dollar or better...if you buy new you WILL take a beating when you sell.....but if you can get a DEAL you should be OK....

Good Luck and if you score your family will have TONS of Fun,

Bob

I have a trailer in Jack's Lake Tent & Trailer Park on Jack's Lake. I've been camping there for over 30yrs. My yearly fees are $1800/yr whick includes hydro. There are extra fees for extra fridges, a/c units, docks but they aren't outrageous.......maybe $30-$50/yr more for each "extra". I also pay and extra $100 to have my trailer winterized which is guaranteed by the owners. I love the park because everyone knows everyone, no gates, great owners, very good fishing, dirt roads in park, lots of places to ATV....etc.

We just spent the last five years at Nestle In between Lindsay and Bobcaygeon and have now moved to Muskoka mianly because we prefer the lakes and fishing there.

We loved this park though, it's well run and kept very clean. They have an outdoor pool and docks for boats. One drawback is that it's on Emily Creek off of Sturgeon so you have to navigate under a low bridge (Hwy 36) through a marked channel to get to the main lake.

Hope this helps:

Nestle In Resort

I pay just over $3k in Honey Harbour and that includes winter storage and my boat slip, hydro(30amp), water, sewage and lawn cutting. We have a nice little beach a stone's throw from the public dock in Honey Harbour and the kids are already swimming in the water (high 60s last weekend). There is only a few trailers and we are like a big family.

You can find a nice 28-30ft'r for well under $20k. Most parks want you to have a trailer that is less than 10 years old coming in. I'd recommend buying one from Niagara Trailers. Their setup and after sales service is second to none. There are 2 other new trailers at our park from different dealers and both have had problems with service after the sale with setup and warranty. I've got some friends at Pigeon Hollow just outside of Bobcaygeon and it's a nice place as well. Not sure what the fees are there.

We have a trailer on Sand Lake (30 min north of Hunstville). The wife has been going there 30+ years...I joined the party 13 years ago. We love it....the beach is unbelievable however there isn't much more than that. No pool, small play ground and that's the park. We pay $1800 per year all in. Includes hydro..as much as you can use (for now), water and Bathroom's with showers. Where on our 2nd trailer, my wife bought our last just before we met and we just replaced it last year(needed more room). I toyed with the idea of buying used..however a trailer has everything a house does plus other finicky items so my recommendation unless your a fix all type person is to buy new or a few years old...that's just my opinion. The last thing you want to be doing on your weekend is fixing or repairing...it will make the new experience distasteful.

Muskie Bay on Rice Lake has a trailer section. Don't know much about it, but it's my go to resort on Rice lake. Great owners.

MUSKY BAY!!!

I've had many a Fisherman's breakfast here. Nothing better than pulling up and docking there after a morning fish having a few coffees and big hot breakfast. I didn't realize they had permanenet trailers here too. Never really left the dock area.

There are so many wonderful places available, Riverview in Lindsay is right on the river with good fishing and access to Scugog. Sue and I use to rent a trailer years ago and she loved it (Sue was a big city girl) we had a ton of fun. Best advice I can give you is; find an area you like, go and talk to some of the residents of trailer parks in that area, and then make your decision. Park fees of $300.00 a month are probably less than you would pay in taxes on a waterfront cottage in the Kawarthas.

There are so many wonderful places available, Riverview in Lindsay is right on the river with good fishing and access to Scugog. Sue and I use to rent a trailer years ago and she loved it (Sue was a big city girl) we had a ton of fun. Best advice I can give you is; find an area you like, go and talk to some of the residents of trailer parks in that area, and then make your decision. Park fees of $300.00 a month are probably less than you would pay in taxes on a waterfront cottage in the Kawarthas.

Must say Sturgeon is high on my list Big Cliff. Only fished it a couple a times, but I liked it (actually my best walleye day ever with Gregg Klatt! - what a sweet day!). Great location for me travel wise too.

Its monthly fees vs. up front cost. The cottage would be ideal but $20,000 + fees is so much more in my ballpark than another mortgage + taxes. And really for me it is about having easy access to good water + some camp fires/swimming/fishing etc. for the kids. Some place I can head up to after work if I wanted.

Must say Sturgeon is high on my list Big Cliff. Only fished it a couple a times, but I liked it (actually my best walleye day ever with Gregg Klatt! - what a sweet day!). Great location for me travel wise too.

Its monthly fees vs. up front cost. The cottage would be ideal but $20,000 + fees is so much more in my ballpark than another mortgage + taxes. And really for me it is about having easy access to good water + some camp fires/swimming/fishing etc. for the kids. Some place I can head up to after work if I wanted.

Riverview is on the Scugog River but there is a set of locks between there and Sturgeon Lake. There is a trailer park near Bobcayegon, right near CPH's he might be able to help you with contact info. Nice place, beach, don't know much more but he would be a good person to ask!