Trailer wiring won't work on 2003 Dodge Ram

Tried hooking up some trailer lights on my "new to me " truck this afternoon and got nowhere with the 7pin connector.

( 2003 Dodge ram 1500 2 wheel drive with the 4.7 V6 )

There was another 4pin set underneath and that didn't work either.

This truck came from my wifes work and is a very well maintained truck.

They used to pull a small trailer with it up until I bought it in late december.

We put a tester in the 7 pin and it read fine on all but two of the pins.. Is likely the issue... we are hesitant to pull the wires off the back of it to look for corrosion.

The 4pin one is dead, period.

We then took the truck to the U-Haul centre where we are getting the trailer from and they had the same result.

Any ideas?

I need it to go to Michigan on Tuesday.

Thanks

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

I know where the diagram came from Bill.. but I have no idea what they are wiring there or nor have I seen fog lights on a trailer.

Here is the standard wiring diagram for a 7 prong trailer plug. Reverse lights on center pin is what is used to activate a dump solenoid on a trailer with surge brakes so you can back up.

7pinplug.jpg

SIDE NOTE...

What is it like on gas? with out the trailer ..

Can you let me know as I do about 2hrs driving every day.

Looking at one of those trucks now.

Two hours driving in the city of Toronto is NOT going to be good on gas.... on the highway is reasonable for this truck and motor.

not all 7 pins are active in all cases - you only need the ones that apply to you, in this case the same 4 wires from your flat 4 connector. irishfields drawing is correct - the center is auxillary - in almost all cases when i find problems with bargmans the installer has used the drawing incorrectly - ie the image is reversed, close attention needs to be paid to front/rear view of plug - oftent the incorrect wiring is exactly reversed. remove, clean, fit the wires and go!

good luck

Make sure you check your fuses too. On my ford there are back up fuses for trailer brake, turn and hazard signals. I had a problem a couple years ago like this and rewired everything only to find a 5 amp brake fuse had blown on my panel. In your manual find the fuse panel diagram and check for any that are trailering connectors.

I have a 2003 ram and I just replaced the trailer plug on it last week. it was the 4 prong connector and you mentioned there was a 4 prong connector on yours too. That would lead me to think they have wired in the 7 pin connector and it is not a factory plug. Try following it back to where the joint is made on these two wiring harnesses and go from there. My 4 prong plug was completely rotted (or rusted) out .

If you haven’t been able to figure it out; I’d be more then happy to have a look at it for you.

My Shop is here in London; I’m not looking for business, just offering help.

Don’t know what time will be left this afternoon but my Monday morning could work?

I’ll pm the shop’s phone number, give me a call if you’re stuck.

Dan.

considering the wiring diagram is right on the 7 pin cover, you gotta be a bit "different" to wire it wrong...lol. i believe all rams that come with a tow package have both 4 and 7 pin connections.

when i bought my 07 ram i remember someone telling me you need to be careful to avoid corrosion which could result in a short that wrecks an electronics controller. dielectric grease should be used on all connections to prevent corrosion and headaches...

a short on my atv trailer (7 pin) made the headlights on my truck stop working?

If you haven’t been able to figure it out; I’d be more then happy to have a look at it for you.

My Shop is here in London; I’m not looking for business, just offering help.

Don’t know what time will be left this afternoon but my Monday morning could work?

I’ll pm the shop’s phone number, give me a call if you’re stuck.

Dan.

Thanks for the call Dan.... see u Monday afternoon .... :clapping:

Edited by splashhopper