What kind of line for a leader?

10point

Ok guys, bear with me. I am totally new to most of this stuff. I am going to try to make some harnesses for walleye fishing with leeches for my trip next month. What type of line would one recommend I use to make these? Keep in mind Pike will be in the waters also.

i ues 14lb trilene xt !!! or 12lb trilene big game...tried everything else,and seems to hold up the best from nicks and stuff caused by zebra mussels !! floro will cut too easy,and braid will shred,and some other lines either have too much stretch or not enough....been tying theses since my granparents owned the fishing lodge in bobcaygeon,when i was about 10yrs old!!!

and yes i have caught many muskies and pike on them,but like the other poster said...some you will win some you will lose!!! at least having those lines i use helps alot for that reason...specially if you are running bouncers like i usually do...

I use 17-25lb Trilene Big Game or Stren Heavy Cover for making my harnesses. Stiffer line allows the spinner to move more freely and helps with abrasion. Any 12lb+ mono would probably be fine. So, if you have any 12lb+ mono lying around, you could just use that. Otherwise, Trilene Big Game is pretty cheap.

I usually use 8 - 12lb Vanish fluoro for anything from bass to walleye to pike. However, I find Vanish's 10lb fluoro to be quite weak! It seems to snap even when just tying knots. It could just be me.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've been trying to find another cost effective alternative, so I'll be interested to see what this thread recommends.

Fluorocarbon seems to damage easily if you don't wet the knot very well.

If I rush a Palomar, and don't lube the whole loop etc. I have had the line snap in the knot when I go to final tighten it.

I'm talking about it breaking at a fraction of the pound-test-rating.

I assume the line is getting damaged by the heat generated when the almost dry knot tightens.

I'm into old school stuff so I tie a simple lindy rig with a floating jig head and hook the leach once through the sucker. I feel I get a good natural presentation with this set up. Also use this with night crawlers if the leeches aren't working. If you want to use fluorocarbon its up to you but I never had any problems hooking up walleye on my main line which is usually no more than 8lb test of some kind.

Good Luck !!

I second ChrisK. For walleye fishing (primarily), why use a leader? Just use 8lb or 6lb test main line, and tie directly to your lure or rig. You don't mess up the lure action this way. Now if you hook into a pike, you'll take a chance. I personally would take that risk, simply because a leader of >10lb test would really diminish your chance of catching walleye, esp if the feeding mood is kinda neutral.