Arnprior/Ottawa River

cwpowell

Hey y'all I'm headed up to Arnprior this weekend to fish the Ottawa river on the Quebec side. I'm kind of blind as to where I'll be fishing exactly, but i'm going up to a friends cottage. Anyway what I'm getting to is what kind of tackle should I be packing here. Is the water tea stained?

what should I expect? Will the bugs be out in full force?

The Ottawa above the Fitzroy dam is closer to Oligotrophic waters than the lower, which watersheds include low lying farmlands. The rocky shores and deeper cooler water above the dam tend to be clearer than below the dam. The waters can be stained after rough weather and lots of rain but not nearly like the lower. It is usually pretty clear.

Pike fishing can be good above the Bonnechere river and Pickeral are typically found in the usual haunts...deeper water during the day and off current areas pretty much all the time.

Where abouts is your friends cottage? I might be able to be more specific

Edited by muskymatt

I just moved from Ottawa to Kingston but I know the Ottawa river was a dirt filth hole. Bugs out of water should be too bad it's the ones in the water I'd worry about, don't fall in. As far as lure, spinner baits, cranks, the Ottawa river is great for musky but I don't think they are in season. Just bring you usual pike/walleye tackle. The water is dirty dark green, at least in the down town Ottawa area. Not sure about the arnprior area.

Edited by umKthxbye

Nope, I fished downtown near parliament hill, my lures would always come out with the nastiest little worms and crap on it. Lol I'm hardly a kid.

Fishing that area hardly qualifies you to comment on the Arnprior area. Better spend another 20yrs fishing it before giving advice lad.

;)

Charles walleye should be relatively easy to target. Remember it's a river. Look for any current breaks (small islands or rockpiles are obvious) and fish the slack water behind them.

Troll worm harness and sufficiently heavy bottom bouncers dead slow to locate fish.

Once you've found concentrations a jig and twister tipped with either half a worm or a minnow worked across the bottom will catch fish.

Not sure what the reg's are for the Ottawa regarding the use of live minnows. The rest of QC they're verboten.

Not sure what the reg's are for the Ottawa regarding the use of live minnows. The rest of QC they're verboten.

Live minnows can be used on the Larry and the Ottawa.

ok first off...there is severe walleye restriction in effect in the ottawa river till june 15th!!! read the regs,and i have fished the ottawa river for over 20yrs...and yes its stained,and stuff,but why do you think the fishing is as good as it is....oh well nuff said...cheers read the regs before you go as right now you can hardly keep any size fish till june 15th.....maybe someone will post the reg s for the ottawa river thanks

Just got a report from Deux Riviere (nearer to Mattawa) and the river is extremely low this year. Apparently runoff from the north side is non-existent this year and the dam is probably closed tight in Mattawa. He's worried about getting his boat in the water and figures it's down nearly 6 feet.... that won't bode well for ferry's either.

And yes, lots of blood sucking worms near parliment. ;)

A couple things, the river up by Arnprior is as good as it gets, the water up there is awesome! I fish it a few times a week all year long and trust me, the water is great. Depending on where you go it can be very stained or quite clear. If you want walleye I would go to the mouth of the Madawaska river, where it comes right through Arnprior and meets the Ottawa. Right off that point on the east side is a walleye haven. As for pike, if you go east from Arnprior towards the railway bridge hit the shoreline about 500 yards south of the bridge for pike, a large weed flat thay they frequent.

Good luck out there and be sure to let us know how it was when you get back. FYI, cats can also be fun up there and can make for a fun coulpe of hours. I haven't gone for them on the Madawaska in Arnprior but have heard they can be plentiful.

Cheers

Fished the area a few times. Along the PQ side there are lots of shoals. Be carefull. We found tossing Mr Twisters caught just about everything. You can try going deeper and drifting with minnow or worms on jigs.

Or go across the river to the Mississippi River. Shallow at the mouth so take your time.

Water will be green and clear.

have fun.

Used to go to Arnprior every year on May 24 weekend as the in laws reside there.The mouth of the Madawaska was good when the water wasn't running I would just anchor.If the current was running I go go up to the area below the falls and fish some of the back eddys with a jighead and minnow or a twistertail.I have had 20 plus fish days there with lots of good eater sized fish and some of those annoying cats also.There is a launch at the mouth of the Madawaska and another one just below the falls,One is free and not sure about the other one.Some years the water runs steady and other years it is on and off.