Rifle Discharge Boundaries

Skud

In a debate with a buddy concerning the boundaries laid out in Central/Southern Ontario stating where you CAN NOT fire a high powered(centerfire) rifle. Inside city limits is obvious but what about rural areas? Where can I find this info? Please help

Guest gbfisher

In a debate with a buddy concerning the boundaries laid out in Central/Southern Ontario stating where you CAN NOT fire a high powered(centerfire) rifle. Inside city limits is obvious but what about rural areas? Where can I find this info? Please help

The easiest thing to do would be to phone the police in the area you want to shoot in.

It's not very easy, you have to go to Township/Town Halls and read the actual laws as printed, each town/township can or will be different. Don't go by what a town clerk or the local police say, they often are misinformed, would you ask a police officer about fishing regs? :whistling:

Edited by dave524

Doug.. call the Barrie police or Barrie OPP and ask if there is any public access to the shooting range beside the Pitstop campground out on Hwy 90. I've flown over it.. it's a complete training camp with proper berm wall for setting your sights. Presume it's OPP territory as I can't see it having anything to do with Borden, they have their own range.

You have to search for your townships "firearm discharge by-law".

There will be a whole bunch of info with regards to where you can shoot, and also what the max. calibre is for that township. They are all different, so make sure you know what township your going to shoot in, and make sure your not over calibre.

Generally, if your only shooting targets, there is no restrictions. The restrictions come in place for hunting purposes only.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK FOR YOURSELF. This is only a guidline to get you going in the right direction!!! Print a copy and carry it with you. Most of the cops don't know the township by laws as well as you might think. I carry it with me a lot if I'm hunting in a rural area, and it has saved me some grief a few times already with cops who had no idea I could shoot where I was.

S.

As far as the MNR is concerned you can small game hunt in southern Ontario with anything up to a .275 calibre rifle, unless the township has further restrictions , this would be the case. For discussion's sake here is the bylaw for a Niagara township, complete with legal goobledeegook, they limit rifles to .22 centrefires as a concession to coyote hunters, lot of areas here are shotgun only for hunting.

http://www.town.forterie.ca/WebSite/tofeweb.nsf/0/39D277EC48E2C7398525725F006A460C/$File/hunting_bylaw.pdf

Like Sinker and I said, better research it yourself.

The shooting has nothing to do with hunting, just target practice with a .223 and a .300. I am shooting south of Hwy #89 in Innisfil Township, east of the #400 Hwy. The ranges on the north side of Hwy 90 is the Barrie Gun Club. Been a member before, don't really care to join again. I will contact the innisfil office

the MNR and hunting regs are going to have no impact on the answer you are looking for. as sinker said, local bylaws will determine rural boundaries for firearms use. likelu on their website, certainly at the municipal office. in my area the rules for firearm discharge happen to be identical with the rules for open air burning....